Part 30

I picked the beginning of Tear by Red Hot Chili Peppers as I sat out on the front porch of my house. We were leaving to go back on tour soon and I was definitely excited to get back on the road. I went of the portion of the song a few more times before I rested the bass in its case sitting open next to me. I stood then, lighting up a cigarette as I laid out in the middle of my driveway.

"Hey beautiful," A familiar voice called from a few feet away.

I turned my head slightly and looked up to see Gerard walking my way. I smiled, returning to my original position soaking up the hot sun's rays. He took a seat on the ground next to me, pulling out his own cigarette and lighting it up as well. I watched him as he blow smoke from his mouth, the sun hitting his face in a way that made him look like a god.

"Gerard, you're so pretty."

He laughed and looked down at me, giving me an odd look. "What?"

"You heard me," I smiled and took another drag.

"So Mikey tells me you asked him to teach you bass. What happened to the guitar?"

I shrugged. "It just didn't feel right, you know? The bass just makes such a nice sound."

"How's it coming?"

"Really well actually."

"Mikey thinks you're a natural," Gerard picked up a little stone and threw it down the driveway. "But I expected that since you picked up guitar so easily too."

I laughed loudly. "He's totally exaggerating. Anyway I've only been playing for what, a week and a half?"

Gerard smiled down at me again. "Just keep practicing."

"Oh I will," I spoke quietly, closing my eyes.

"So where's your boyfriend?" Gerard asked after a few peaceful moments of silence.

"You know, Mikey also said something like that to me not too long."

Gerard gave me a look.

I sighed. "I don't have a boyfriend, Gee."

He snorted back a laugh. "Sure thing."

I rolled my eyes and basked in the sound of a car as it passed by us on the street. "...I think he said something about going to see his grandpa."

"Ha!! I knew it."

"Shut up," I swung my arm around to hit him.

"Ow! That actually hurt," I looked up to see him rubbing his arm.

"Whatever," I closed my eyes again. "You deserved it."

The sun was hot, but the air was crisp and cool. There were no clouds in the sky today. We laid outside for who knows how long before Gerard sat up and looked down at me with a big smile on his face.

"We should all go to the beach today."

"I would rather be shot in the foot than have to be squished in a car with five guys for almost an hour."

He laughed in a way that said I didn't actually have a choice.

It wasn't long after that I found myself sitting in the backseat of Gerard's car, practically on top of Mikey, on the way to the beach.

"I'm hot," I complained over the sound of the music playing through the speakers.

Gerard glance at me through the rear view mirror and shook his head. "That's why we're going to the beach."

I glared at him. "Are we there yet?"

"We'll be there in like 20 minutes."

I groaned and let my head flop against the window. After what felt like forever we made it to the beach parking lot and I scrambled as quickly as I could to get out of the car.

I took a deep breath of the salty air. "Freedom!"

All the guys laughed at me as I ran for the trail that led down to the beach, Frank and Ray close behind. I threw my towel onto the sand by my feet and stripped off the mint green cover up dress I had put on over my suit. With that I ran for the crashing waves, stopping a few feet away from the break to let the cool water wash over my feet, the water instantly calming me.

I heard the sound of running from behind me, but didn't pay any mind. Within seconds I was thrown into the ocean by two pairs of hands, a light scream escaping my lips just as I hit the water. I gasped as I came up for air and looked at the shore to see Mikey and Frank laughing their asses off.

I glared and made my way out of the water. I stood in front of them giving each of them a sour look and then leaned over a little and shook my wet hair like a dog. They both yelped and jumped away.

With that I ran back into the crashing waves, laughing loudly as the two boys followed quickly behind me.

After an hour or so of swimming I got out and lay comfortably in the sun. My eyes were closed and I was half asleep listening to the sound of the waves crashing and the boys yelling and laughing in the distance.

"Lenny," I knew that voice all too well. "You asleep?"

I opened my eyes to see a dripping wet Frank. I couldn't help but let my eyes travel over his tattooed frame that glistened from the ocean water left on his body. My eyes finally moved back up to his gorgeous face and bright eyes.

"No, I'm up."

He smirked. "I can see that."

He grabbed his folded up towel and set it on the sand next to me and plopped down on it seconds later. I watch his face as he sat there looking out at the water and the rest of the guys as they goofed off. There was a subconscious smile on his face, which meant he was in the happiest mood he could possibly be in.

Then he turned to me. "I like your hair wavy."

"What?" I touched my damp hair self-consciously.

"You look cute," He smiled bigger.

I blushed and shook my head, not saying a word.

He giggled like he always did when he was overly happy and turned back to look at the ocean. I sat there for a moment getting lost in the pattern of my towel and subconsciously I rested my head against Frank's shoulder like it was second nature.

"I'm glad we can be like this Frank," I spoke quietly.

"Like what?"

"Friends."