5: Tea Party

https://66.media.tumblr.com/972ef869600cba5942458be086298650/0ce08c3f44b53812-29/s540x810/c515d82141801c9c40b771792911080952be3caf.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

My hope of sleeping the whole week away was crushed when Damon insisted on poking and prodding me awake as soon as Stefan went to school this morning. Apparently he wanted back-up to confront Elijah at The Historical Society's Tea Party. I rolled my eyes at his idea, explaining how I was team Elijah until the ancient and deadly Original crossed us. He wanted to fight me on it, but I was far too tired for any verbal sparring, simply reminding him of Jonas showing up to deal with our Werewolf issue when I had passed out. He was silent after that, I had never been so grateful.

And even if I wasn't his voodoo back-up, I still couldn't turn down a Tea Party--nor the opportunity to see Elijah in a suit. Now, I know what you must be thinking, 'at this point in the narrative, he's always wearing a suit', and all I really have to say to that is...lucky me then...

I focused on my hearing the second we entered the soiree, grateful to hear a conversation I'd seen far too many times on my small TV screen-- "Have you spent much time in Richmond for your book? Such a wealth of history."

"No. I'm focusing mostly on the smaller regions of Virginia. Lots of research. Strictly academic." I couldn't stop myself from grinning, the mere sound of his voice making me giddy.

"I'm gonna get a drink," I tore myself from Damon's side, not allowing him the chance to protest before I successfully escaped.

I reached a table set aside, grabbing a lemonade and being disturbed from my sip by a hunter-- "Hi," my eyes trailed to meet Alaric's gaze. "Adelina, isn't it?"

"Yeah," I grinned. "Alaric, right?"

"Call me Ric."

I leaned against the wall behind me, "Then call me Adie."

He grinned in response, "I was surprised to learn Damon had a sister. He and Stefan certainly kept you hush hush."

I tried to keep my expression neutral, even when my thoughts were erratic; 'That's because I'm not supposed to exist! What if Stefan and Damon can't really remember anything before my arrival here? Like I just appeared in a poof and they're just forced to remember a bond between us when they're actually completely clueless about me? What if I didn't actually replace anyone and when they try to think back on my existence before I popped up to help with Elena, their mind just goes blank?!...'-- "What can I say? I'm the dirty little secret of the family," I offered a wink.

"I can't imagine why..." His smile remained even when his gaze grew more intrigued, the man starting to look at me as though I was a jumbled rubix cube.