16: Dance With Death

https://media.tenor.com/kJk3zHli_8UAAAAC/supergirl-lena-luthor.gif.

A WEEK LATER

A WEEK LATER

I worried I'd paced a hole into the Mikaelson's driveway before Bonnie and her mother pulled up behind my car. "Hey guys!" I know my enthusiasm was strained, the woman most likely seeing straight through the 'excitement', my nerves on full display.

"Hey, Adie." Bonnie's smile was concerned, "Are you sure you're okay joining us for this?"

"Don't be silly, Bon." I dismissed the worry, "I dragged you guys into this mess, the least I can do is play chaperone to it."

"But still," the brunette frowned, "With Elijah--"

"Elijah nothing," I was quick to interrupt. "So what if he hates me. Me being here is just as an extra precaution for the both of you, and besides, I hope with me being here the pair of you will feel more comfortable in a house full of ancient vampires."

My friend's expression finally calmed, "We do appreciate it, Adie."

"Don't mention it, Bon," I offered her arm an affectionate squeeze. "Now, let's go meet the circus." Only a few steps decreased our distance enough to announce our presence with a knock, an unexpected greeter throwing me for a momentary loop.

Kol's smirk was wide and mischievous, "Hello, darling. Can't get enough of me, I see."

"Of course, Kol, how ever did you guess(?)"

He chuckled at my eye roll, not wasting any time to assess the witches beside me. "And who are these lovely ladies?"

"Bonnie and Abby Bennett, the amazing witches that will attempt to awaken your mother today," I motioned between the pair. "Ladies, this is Kol Mikaelson, the youngest brother and the Mikaelson holding the most respect for all variants of sorcerers."

"Lovely to meet you, darling," Kol flirted while kissing Bonnie's hand, his attempt to repeat the process with Abby met with a cool stare. He was quick to back off, recognising which of the women was least comfortable in the undead's presence. I'm positive I saw a slight blush run across Bonnie's cheeks while Abby just looked awkward.

"Now we've been greeted, can we come in and get this show on the road?"

"Please..." He moved out of the way and held out his arm, directing us to what I saw on my TV as the Mikaelson's ballroom.

"Thank you," I smiled at him, leading my companions further into the room until we stood beside Esther's sealed coffin at the center. "Here it is girls, your mission." I turned and grinned at the pair, hyper aware of Kol loitering in the open doorway, intrigued by their power. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Bonnie breathed out.

I focused on Abby, "Did you bring your Grimoire?"

"Yes," she pulled it from her bag and laid it, closed, on top of the coffin.