14: Reunited

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d718ad7f2611bd760319aaf265b2f400/a19557c9755716ce-c1/s400x600/61b264dd9667f3c535b9dc26fb2f04b602f5b629.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

The ache in my skull forced me to see double, the pain not as kind as I'd grown accustomed to after waking from such a heavy day of drinking. At least I still had the familiarity of Elijah walking through my dreams with me... I frowned with the mixture of memory and the dull thumping behind my eyes, for once the dream had a new setting; no-longer was Elijah seeking me out around Mystic Falls or the Boarding house specifically, instead he'd encouraged me out into the middle of the forest and among a terrain I'd barely explored--

"Glad to see you awake."

I jumped in fright, a yelp sticking in my throat when the sunlight striking my pupil pushed me to fall off the bed, "Ow..." I patted the ground, the fluffiness of a foreign rug confusing me further. "Am I still dreaming?"

"Afraid not," I raised my head to see the man I've spent the last three months pining after. "It would appear that your hybrid nature still allows you to become hungover when you consume too much alcohol."

I clenched my jaw in the struggle to stand without wincing, "Well, you looking at me like that doesn't make the headache any easier." I turned in search of my shoes, not dwelling too much on him bringing me back to his current residence and tucking me into bed rather than leaving me behind when I passed out. The room was as luxurious as Mystic Falls could provide, my guess was he'd brought me back to whatever hotel/motel he was hiding in. A flash of how long he might have been here crossed my thoughts, but the pace didn't look too lived in, leaving me to assume he'd only returned recently.

I couldn't meet his eyes again, only further distracted in my search by two advil surrounding a glass of water. I was quick to consume the remedies, ignoring the warm fuzzies over the consideration--Elijah was a gentleman, just because he did this for me doesn't mean he actually cares about me... My silence seemed to encourage him, "Looking at you like what, Miss. Salvatore?" The absence of any possible nickname I'd come to expect from my dreams stung, but the avoidance of my first name in general forced a familiar emptiness to dig through my chest.

"Like you want nothing more than to be as far from me as you can get..." It wasn't as hard as I thought to stow the tears, annoyance fueling my upset the second I dared return his gaze. "Why are you even back here, Elijah(?) Klaus is yet to show his face, and I thought that was supposed to be your calling card(!)"

He raised a brow at the snark, "I don't see it doing much harm waiting around for him for a few days."

I couldn't silence my scoff, "Wow(!) That's mighty high of you to grace us lowly peasants with your company, ma' Lord, are you sure other matters far from here don't need to be attended to(?)" I didn't expect him to vamp speed in front of me, my flinch loud as he assessed me with narrowed eyes.