♡ Chapter 4 ♡

♡ CHAPTER FOUR ♡

CCRAASSHH!

Ariana's eyes grew wide. The nail cutter went straight through his window. Literally, straight through.

At least his whole window didn't break, there was just a fair-sized hole in the middle of his window. Ariana expected Brandon, or even his parents to look through the window, fuming. But she hoped that nobody in his house was home and wouldn't even notice the hole. But sadly, none of those things happened.

"Ow!" She could hear an irritated voice complain. She saw the blue curtains ruffle, so she quickly crouched down on the floor, out of sight from whoever it was that got hit with the nail cutter.

It was quiet, and Ariana almost thought that the person didn't even look out to see who had thrown the nail cutter. But then, a voice rang through the open window.

"Seashell?" Ariana grimaced. "Seashell, I know you're there. Your window's open." Shoot, Ariana thought. She was debating on whether or not she could crawl all the way out her bedroom door when something hit her forehead.

"Ouch!" She saw that it was a heavy, rubber ball that had hit her. Outside her window, she could hear Brandon chuckling.

"Come on, seashell. Get up." Ariana groaned but stood up and dusted herself off. She looked up to see a messy-haired, smiling Brandon. I just busted his window, why in the world is he smiling?! Ariana thought.

"Is this your way of getting revenge for earlier, or are you still not over the whole book-snatching thing at the beach?" he asked.

"No. I wanted to ask you if you could show me around but I threw the nail cutter with a little more force than I intended," Ariana said sheepishly. Brandon laughed again.

"Look, I'm sorry. I'll pay for it and--" Ariana started to apologize but Brandon cut her off.

"No, no. Its cool, besides--" But he wasn't able to finish his sentence since his bedroom door swung open. And in came a woman in her late thirties. She had the same dark hair as Brandon and she had her hair in a loose ponytail and she wore a white blouse and blue jeans.

Her eyes were wide. "Brandon! I heard a small crash, what happened?" she asked.

"Um," he started. "I was playing baseball with the rubber ball you got me and accidentally hit my window," he lied. He glanced at Ariana and she gave him a grateful smile for not getting her in trouble with his mother.

Ariana stood there awkwardly while his mother went closer to the window. As she examined the hole, her eyes met Ariana's.

"Who is...?" she turned to Brandon.

"Oh, that's my friend, Ariana Miller. She just moved in, and its a good thing that her window was open, or else I would've broken her window, too." His mother looked at Ariana again, who bent down to pick up the rubber ball and then tossed it to Brandon.

"Oh hello," his mother greeted her with a smile. "Lovely to meet you. You just moved in? Where are you from?"

"From New York," Ariana replied with her own smile.

"Really? What's it like there? I heard that--"

"Mom," Brandon interrupted. "Are you really gonna chit chat through our windows?"

His mother bit her lip and then turned back to Ariana.

"Why dont you come over? I have cookies." She smiled. Ariana glanced at Brandon, she couldn't quite read his face. But she nodded.

"Okay, sure!" she smiled. His mother went and prepared the cookies as Ariana said one last apology about the window and then carried Percy out to the hallway before shutting her window closed.