Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Amy POV

1 week till wedding

I walk into the barn and drop the  double sleeping bag on he ground. I unfold it and put our pillows on top. I walk into the office and get the dvd player and a movie to watch and put it next to the sleeping bag. I sit down and and grab the thermos with the soup in it and pour some in the lid. Derek walks in and pours himself some soup. He sits down and he turns the dvd player on. We start watching the movie and finish eating our soup. We get int the sleeping bag and continue watching the movie.

I snuggle down in the sleeping bag with Derek next to me and Delighla asleep in her stall just across from where we are. Lulu is snoring across in her bed out the front of the Delighla's stall. Derek turns over and moves the dvd player over so he can get comfortable. He shift around and doesn't stop moving. "What are you doing" I ask as he finally stops. "I cant get comfortable" he answers. i just shuffle over so he can mover over. He moves over and grabs the dvd player and we continue watching 8 seconds.

The movie finishes and I look over and see that Derek is asleep. I turn the dvd player off and get up to check on Delighla. I open the stall door and go give her a pat. She seems to be ok but not all like her self. I see that she has started to go into labour. Tonight is the night and I need to ring the vet soon. I go back to the sleeping bag and get my phone out. I dial the vets number and ask him to come over when he can because Delighla is going into labour. I hang up the phone and wake Derek up. "Its time babe" I say as he opens one eye to look at me. He gets up and rub his eyes and walks into the stall with me. "Stay with her and I will get towels" I say as I walk out and into the tack room. I grab two old towels and walk back to the stall. As I was about to close the stall door the vet walks into the barn and comes over to the stall. "Hi i'm Clive, this here must be Delighla and you must be Amy " he says as he smiles. "Hi yes Im amy and this is my fiancé Derek. This is Delighla and she has started to go into labour " I reply. "Ill check her out and then all we can do is wait and see what happens. If anything does go wrong we will have to preform an emergency c-section but that is very unlikely because she looks like she is in a great condition. I have a few questions first. Is this her first foal and has she had any symptoms?" 

" She has had one other foal and she did wonderful with that delivery and her foal is now a healthy young colt. With the symptoms she has been perfectly fine through out the pregnancy. Derek and I have had our eye on her everyday." I say as I pat her and she seems to calm down a bit. Clive walks in and starts to examine her. She doesn't mine and just stands there as he does his inspection. " She is nearly ready so we just need to stand out side of the stall and wait". he says as he walks out of the stall and stands next to me while we look at her through the bars in her stall.

She just walks around the stall so we all go and sit down. I pour three cups of coffee and hand clive and Derek a cup. Clive thanks me and the gets back up and just stands at the stall and watches Delighla. "Tomorrow I need to pick up the dresses in town, do you need anything? " I ask as I sit on the hay bale and look at Derek. " No thanks babe. I just cant believe the wedding is in one week" he says as he smiles at me with the biggest smile. I just smile at him as we both look up and see Clive starting to move closer to the stall

We both stand up and walk over to her stall and look in. She begins to lay down and I start to get excited. I hold Derek's hand and squeeze it really hard. He laughs as he says "Your not the one giving birth". Clive and I chuckle as we watch as she lays there and pushes.

We wait a while and then the foals front legs come out and I squeeze Derek's hand even more. He just chuckles as we both watch. The rest of the foal starts to come out. In a matter off seconds the whole foal is out and Delighla is now laying there licking her new born baby.

"OMG its so cute" I say as I stare at the foal on the stall floor. "The newest addition to the family" Clive says as he looks at me and Derek. Derek and I laugh as Derek puts his arm around my shoulder. "Isnt that the cutest" I say as I look up at Derek. He smiles and nods.

Delighla stands up and nudges the foal and it trembles to its feet. It wobbles and begins to fall down but gets its balance and stands up. Delighla licks her foal and now we can see the gender.

"A healthy little filly" Clive says as he stares at the foal. "A girl" I say with excitement. Delighla looks at me and I smile. The little filly is now prancing around the stall exploring her new home.

"Well I'm done here and mother and child seem to be healthy so I'm gonna head off. Call if you have any trouble." Clive says as he gets his kit and starts to walk out of the barn. "Thankyou " Derek and I shout as we wave to him as he walks to his truck.

We start to walk over to where we were sleeping. "Well we don't need the sleeping bag anymore" I chuckle as I walk over the the sleeping bag and start to roll it up. "Guess not" Derek replies as he grabs the Dvd player and soup and we start to walk to the house. We walk inside and I put the sleeping bag in the cupboard. Derek puts the empty soup in the kitchen and the dvd player in the office.

I head into the bathroom and wash my face and brush my teeth. As I walk out I see Derek asleep on the bed fully clothed. He had a big day. I get into my Pjs and walk over to the bed. I take his boots off and attempt to take his jumper off but that failed. I walk around to the other side of the bed and slide the covers down. I put the covers over Derek and then I hop in. I snuggle down in the bed and close my eyes.  " Goodnight" I whisper as I drift off into a calm sleep.