Chapter 14

Night time had come quickly and Elexis was in her room putting on her dress for the ball while it was already in full swing down the stairs. 

Putting the finishing touches on her look, she didn't expect her soul mate to be standing against the door frame of their room. Smiling, she neared him before she kissed his cheek softly. 

"You have no idea what you do to me." He whispered, putting more kisses on her neck. 

Knowing that he'd leave a mark if she'd let him, Elexis pulled away. "I don't think so mister, I will not have you leaving a hickey on me now." 

"Well, I'll have to put my claim on you differently, won't I?" 

"Darling, I'm carrying your children. I don't think there is a better way to stake a claim on someone." She teased.  

He arched a brow. "Oh, but there is." 

Walking to his nightstand, he took out a red velvet box. "I've had this for a while now but I've always wanted to give it to a woman who meant as much to me as you did, so rest assured that this is not something worn by another woman before." 

Dropping down on one knee, Elexis put a hand before her mouth to stiffle a gasp. "'Lijah." 

"Elexis Van der Bilt - McKenzie, I've loved you since I've first laid eyes on you. My feelings for you have intensified for you over time and I can safely say that I envision my life with you. Never in my life had I dared to dream about the possibility of having a child, let alone two, and yet you've given me such a gift. I want to gift you something as well. Me." 

Taking a deep breath, he looked her in the eye and revealed a gorgeous rose gold engagement ring to her. "My love, will you marry me?" 

"Yes!" Her answer came without missing a beat. "Yes, of course!" 

Smiling, he stood up and placed the ring on her finger before he kissed her gently on the lips. Before either knew, Niklaus was in the room with them and handed them papers. 

"My gift, to you." He said before dashing out again. 

Looking at her soul mate for answers, Elexis could not help but wonder what he had done. "Let's take a look, shall we?" 

Opening the envelope, Elijah gasped as he saw the contents. "I'm Henrik's father." 

"Darling, we already know th- Niklaus has filed for adoption, hasn't he?" 

"It's been aproved, I'm officially Henrik's father." One of the biggest smiles Elexis had ever seen him wear adorned his face. "Darling, I- we-" 

"Shh." She shut him up by kissing him on the lips gently. "Let's go." 

"Wait." He stopped her. Taking her left hand again, he took out a familiar Claddagh Ring. "I've asked your father's permission for this, I know how much he means to you. Your whole family is here as they wanted to congratulate us, it's where I went to earlier. Your mother gave me the Claddagh Ring." 

"It was my grandmother's." Elexis said as he put the ring on her finger accordingly. "How did you know that we wear it on our index finger?" 

"Again, your mother." Elijah chuckled. "Your brother had a fun time trying to scare me for knocking his sister up." 

Elexis could imagine that happening and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I can see that. Are they here now?" 

"Yes, I believe Niklaus and your parents are talking right now. Niklaus admires them for taking you in. I believe your mother has been fussing around him all day."