I Never Told You

I was making grilled cheese for dinner, the Bruins game playing loudly from the living room

"Sawyer, turn it down please," I called out. The TV got louder. I puffed out a sigh and continued to cook. When it was done I put it on a plate with some carrots and went into the living room.

My three year old son sat on the couch, his small feet hanging off the edge. The TV was loud, and that's the way Sawyer liked to watch the game. I handed him his plate and took the remote. I watched as Sawyer ate, his eyes glued to the TV. I watched his dark eyes move back and forth, fixed on number 18, Reilly Smith.

I met Reilly when I was a junior in high school. We never dated, but we became really good friends. I went went with him to the draft in the summer of '09, when he was drafted by Dallas. It was the best day of his life. I could remember that day like it was just a few hours ago.

After the draft, there was a huge party with the 1st round draft picks and a date of their choice. Reilly asked me to be his, and I got all dressed up in a tight black dress and red heels. I even curled my hair. The party was a blast, and even though all the people there were way underage, most of us got drunk, except for Reilly.

Reilly was always the responsible guy. He was the one who kept me somewhat in line. He drove me back to the hotel and took care of me. He was always there for me.

Three months after he left for Texas, I called him out of the blue. We texted all the time, but this was different.

He answered like normal.

"I have to tell you something," I had said. That was when I told him that I was pregnant. I had spent weeks perfecting my story.

"The night after you left, I was really lonely. So I went out and slept with one of our classmates that graduated with us," I had lied. He bought it.

I wondered if he had forgotten, or chose to ignore, the fact that three months ago, we had slept together as a goodbye.

Fast forward three years, and Reilly played for the Bruins, still clueless that he was a father.

Sawyer absolutely loved Reilly. He loved him the minute he saw him. It wasn't anything I said or did, Sawyer just took a natural liking to him.

In fact, we were supposed to take a visit to Boston to see Reilly and to go to some Bruins game.

It was getting harder and harder to keep my secret from Reilly. He deserved to know that he was a dad. It was his right. It got harder as I watched Sawyer grow. Sawyer looked a lot like Reilly. Dark brown hair, dark eyes, and dimples.

The truth would have to come out. I wanted Reilly to know. I wanted to him to know everything. I was just scared of his answer.