Phone Calls

*Reilly's POV*

I tried calling Katie damn near 100 times but she wouldn't answer. Finally, someone picked up, but it wasn't Katie. It was her friend, Lexie

"Reilly," she answered, "I really don't think now's a good time."

"Why not?"

"You know why," she answered. I sighed.

"Please, just hear me out, Lex," I begged.

"Fine."

"I was frustrated. I wasn't thinking straight. Hell, what would you do if you found out you were the father of one of your closest friend's son? You'd be pretty damn overwhelmed and frustrated and pissed. So can you please give the phone to Katie?"

"Fine, here," she sighed. I heard rustling and voices before I heard Katie's voice.

"What do you want, Reils?" she asked. It made me feel a little better that she used her nickname for me.

"I want to talk, and I don't want Lexie to listen," I said, knowing I was on speaker phone. Katie sighed and I heard some more rustling.

"I'm alone, talk," she said.

"Katie, I'm really sorry. Like really sorry. I acted like an ass, but you have to understand, you lied to me," I told her. "I was overwhelmed and scared and angry and I didn't know what to think or what to do, and I took it out on you. Which was wrong."

"I forgive you, Reils, I already did. I'm just upset, that's all," she said.

"Wait what? Why'd you leave?"

"Reils, I wanted you to spend some time with Sawyer alone," she explained. "I just- I just need some space. But tell me one thing."

"Anything," I said.

"You don't really hate me do you?" she asked.

"No, I could never hate you. Actually, Katie I-"

She cut me off.

"Look, I have to go. But I will text you later, I promise," she said. I sighed.

"Bye," I said before hanging up. I was going to tell her that I loved her, but I guess my timing was off.

-------------

*Katie's POV*

I looked at my phone as Reilly hung up. I was happy he apologized, and I was happy he didn't hate me, but I was still upset, and I wasn't exactly sure why.

I just wanted to be alone, but I knew Lexie wouldn't be leaving me anytime soon. She knew I acted on impulses, and she made it her priority to make sure I didn't endanger myself.

"Hey, I'm gonna take a bath," I said. A bath sounded absolutely wonderful at the time. Just being surrounded by warm water and forget all the craziness for a while.

"Okay," she said with a nod.

After I was in the bath, I got to thinking

. I picked up my cell phone from the back of the toilet and called Reilly.

"Hey," he answered, sounding confused, "I thought you had to go."

"Nah, I'm back," I said, looking at my hands. I really needed to get my nails done.

"Well what are you doing?"

"Taking a bath," I said. "I was just thinking about something."

"What what were you thinking about?"

"I was thinking about how it's been a while since we've just, you know, talked," I said. "Like, you know, just a catching up type talk."

"I understand," he said.

"And I think we need to have one."

"I agree," he said.

"Okay good," I giggled. "You first."

-----------

"They did what?" I laughed as the door opened. Lexie poked her head in.

"You've been in here for an hour and a half and I keep hearing voices," she laughed. I smiled.

"They just jumped out on the ice and dumped two buckets of ice cubes on the guy!" I heard Reilly say and I burst out laughing. I was hyper an happy at the same time.

"Are you okay?" Lex asked me.

"I'm just on the phone, I'll be out in a minute," I told her.

"Okay," she said before closing the door.

"Your turn," Reilly said, and I could practically hear a smirk in his voice.

"Okay, so one day, Sawyer and I were at Target, and it was summer, right?" I said. "Well there was this fat guy with a beard and a red shirt and Sawyer walks right up to him and goes 'Santa, why are you here in the summer?'"

"You're kidding."

"I shit you not, Reils. My face was so red and I apologized about twenty time before I made a hasty exit," I laughed.

It was nice to just talk to Reilly.

But we were avoiding the elephant in the room. No matter how much we ignored it, it wasn't going to leave.

Reilly is Sawyer's dad, and I lied about it for years. And as much as I supported my reasons, I knew that didn't turn my wrong into a right.