Playing Pool

I sat at a barstool between Reilly and Bart. Dougie was on the other side of Reilly. The bar was relatively crowded and I was a few drinks in.

"Are you having fun?" Bart asked me with a grin. I smiled back and nodded. I looked over at Dougie, who was slightly uncomfortable considering he couldn't drink.

Reilly looked around the room for a moment before his eyes fell onto a pool table near the back.

"Have you ever played pool?" he asked with a smirk.

"I suck at pool," I laughed. Reilly gave an evil grin and hopped off his barstool, pulling me off mine. Bart and Dougie followed and we decided to break into teams. Reilly and me against Dougie and Bart.

"You're going down, Bartkowski!" Reilly laughed as he broke the triangle of pool balls. I didn't know a single thing about pool. I didn't know what the white ball was called, I didn't know what the stick thingy was called, and I definitely did not know how to play.

Bart and Reilly chirped back and forth at each other throughout the game. Eventually, Reilly won and came over to me. He put his hands on my shoulders.

"You cannot lose this, Katie, you hear me?" he said. I laughed.

"No promises," I said, grabbing the pool stick thingy. Dougie split the triangle. I hit the white ball towards a yellow ball but missed miserably. Dougie took his turn and I looked the table over. I had a perfect shot into one of the holes, so I lined it up and shot the 8 ball into a hole. I dropped the stick.

"I win!" I said.

Reilly, Dougie, and Bart were doubled over laughing.

"What?" I asked.

"You're not supposed to hit that one in until the end!!" Bart laughed. I reached out and smacked them all on the arm.

"Who came up with this game anyway?" I asked with a laugh. Reilly laughed again.

I was finally relaxing and having fun. Something I hadn't done in years.

----------------------

Two days later, the guys called a babysitter again so I could come to the Garden and watch their game.

As I was driving to the Garden in Reilly's car, my cell phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID before answering.

"Hey!" I said happily. It was my closest friend back in Toronto, Lexi.

"Hey! How's Boston treating you?"

"It's great," I answered with a laugh.

"Can I talk to Sawyer?" she asked me. Marisa and Sawyer were also really close. Marisa was like an aunt to him.

"He's not with me right now, actually," I answered as I glanced in the rear view mirror before merging into the lane headed towards the Garden.

"What?!" I heard Marisa yell. Back home, I rarely ever let Sawyer out of my sight unless I absolutely had to.

I laughed. "Yeah, same as the other day."

"Who are you and what have you done do my Katie?" she giggled.

"The guys want me to have fun while I'm here," I explained.

"Whoa whoa wait a minutes. Guys? As in the plural form of guy?"

I laughed again. "Reilly insisted I stayed with him and his roomies."

"Who are these roomies I need to look them up right now," she demanded.

"Dougie Hamilton and Matt Bartkowski," I answered. There was some silence and rustling for a few minutes before she came back.

"Hot damn, Katie! How are you containing yourself?"

I laughed harder.

"I have a kid, I'm not exactly in the market to make out with any hot guy that's down with it," I laughed. Having a kid so young wasn't glamorous or awesome like TV shows make it out to be. Your life completely changes. Your needs become second and your whole life goes on pause when you have a kid.

"Well fly me down, I would gladly make out with either of them," Katie joked. I pulled into a spot in the players lot, where I spotted Dougie's car.

"I'll have to see about that one," I joked. "I need to go but I'll call later okay?"

"Sure! Bye!"

I hung up, grabbed my purse and got out of the car, making it was locked multiple times. Reilly would murder me if it was stolen.

I went inside and I found my place. Dougie had told me that that was where the guys' girlfriends sat. I wasn't scared or intimidated until I actually got there, standing right in front of them.

They were all dressed up really nice, with curled hair and fancy shoes, where I had opted for jeans, grey leather boots, a white tank top and a cardigan. They all looked towards me as I sat down.

"Hi," one said to me. I smiled and told them hi. "I'm Ashley," she told me.

"I'm Katie," I told them.

"I'm Greg's girlfriend," she told me. I smiled again.

"Nice to meet you," I told her. "I'm just here to visit Reilly."

"Well this is Reilly's girlfriend, so you better not try anything," another girl said, gesturing to a blonde girl. The blonde girl was glaring at me.

"I'm only his friend," I said. "I wouldn't try anything." I turned back around and watched the guys on the ice for warmups.

"Don't worry about her. She's a huge bitch," Ashley said to me quietly. I laughed. I would have to tease Reilly about not telling me about her.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Rachel," Ashley answered. "I honestly didn't even know Reilly had a girlfriend."

"Me neither," I laughed. The warmups ended and eventually the game against the Maple Leafs started. It wasn't until the second period that someone scored. And it was Reilly. I jumped up onto my feet with the rest of the Garden and joined them in the celebration. I sat back down, getting odd looks from the girl except for Ashley.

"Why did no one get up to cheer?" I asked her.

"The girls don't really do that," she explained. "I personally think it's stupid but I go along with it." I nodded.

The game went on and it eventually ended in overtime, with the Bruins wining 3-2.

Rachel left before OT so Ashley figured it'd be okay for me to go down to the tunnels to wait for the guys.

After waiting for what seemed like years, Reilly appeared out of the locker room with wet hair and a suit. I smiled when I saw him.

"Hey you," I called out before walking over to him.

"Hey!" he said, wrapping me in a hug.

"You did fantastic," I told him. He smiled.

"Ready to go home?" he asked. I nodded and held out the keys. His hand brushed against mine as he took them.