Awkward Apartment

I stood holding Sawyer while Reilly jammed his key into the lock of the apartment he shared with two other Bruins players, Matt Bartkowski and Dougie Hamilton.

He jiggled the lock but it still didn't work.

"I've been complaining about this damn lock for weeks!" he sighed.

"Language!" I teased. Reilly smiled and looked at Sawyer again before tuning to knock on the door. "Doug! Bart! It's me!"

The door opened and Dougie appeared.

"I told you to jiggle the lock," he joked. Reilly punched his arm.

"I did, smart ass!" he shot back. I just stood there, not really sure what to do. Reilly had absolutely insisted that I stayed with him instead of a hotel. I think he forgot to mention that to the guys.

"Who's that? And who's the kid?" Dougie asked, looking over Reilly's head at me.

"Oh! Dougie, Bart, this is my friend Katie and her son Sawyer," Reilly explained.

"Hi," I said awkwardly. I could tell there were probably a million questions in their heads, but they didn't want to ask.

"Before you ask," Reilly jumped in, "no, we're not dating, and no, Sawyer's not mine."

Hearing him say that last part made me want to go shrink into a hole. I just wanted to scream to him that Sawyer was his. I would tell him soon, but not in front of his friends like that.

"Oh okay!" Bart laughed, breaking the tension. It took a few seconds for me to relax and laugh.

"How long has it been since you've been out?" Reilly asked me.

"Years," I answered. I set Sawyer down on the ground so he walk around. He smirked at his friends.

"Call up the babysitter!" Reilly said. "Because we're taking you out for a good time."

"But it's our first night here and -"

"No, it's already been decided. We're going. And you're going to have fun," Reilly argued. I sighed and laughed.

"Fine, fine! I give in!"