Chapter 9

It was the end of June and the girls would be leaving for their first leg of the tour in South America in a couple of days. Maite is Fifth Harmony's only opening act for this leg. Originally, they weren't going to have openers throughout the entire tour, only for the concerts in the U.S., but obviously, things changed. For the openers for the U.S. concerts they have Maite and three other talented artists: JoJo, Jake Miller, and Victoria Monet. Maite will be an opener for every concert. Her managers wanted her to build a big fan based audience, so by traveling all over the world with Fifth Harmony she would be able to accomplish that.

Tomorrow they all have the day to relax and pack before leaving early in the morning the next day. Today, Fifth Harmony and Maite have a joint interview with a popular talk show, Jimmy Kimmel. This would be Maite's first interview and she was ecstatic. Although, she had been a little nervous but the girls told her not to worry. 

Maite was currently at the building where they would be getting interviewed. She had arrived earlier than they were told to come. She didn't want to be late to her first interview. Luckily, she wasn't the only early person. Ally sat on a single person couch playing on her phone. 

"Ally," Maite smiled and went over to pull the smaller girl in a hug. Over the past couple of weeks, Maite had grown closer with all the girls. They would call each other at random times just to chat or invite one another to go out. Maite's sense of loneliness that she had had when she first moved to Miami was starting to disappear. 

"Hey, Maite!" Ally excitedly returned the hug.

"How have you been?" Maite asked after she let Ally go. She last saw Ally a few days ago when the girls all went out to see a new movie at the theaters. 

They chatted away as they waited for the other girls to show. Next came Normani and immediately following her was Lauren and Camila. Ten minutes had passed and Dinah strolled in.

"Late as usual," Lauren teased, looking up from her phone. 

The Polynesian girl shrugged and took a seat, "takes time to look this bomb."  

Lauren snorted and went back to typing away on her phone. Everyone knew who she was texting, Chad. Those two had been nonstop texting since they met. Lauren had invited him to meet the girls one day when they were hanging out together. Maite had gone home after five minutes of him being there, she claimed that she didn't feel well. It wasn't a complete lie. Seeing Lauren and Chad cuddle up and flirt made her sick to her stomach. And no matter how much she wished it did, her crush on Lauren would not go away. Dinah was still the only one who knew about Maite's crush, but she hadn't brought it up since the night of Shawn's party. All the girls found him Chad to be sweet and they were excited for Lauren, they thought he was perfect for her. 

"Okay ladies, we're ready for you," a producer said and motioned for the them to follow him. 

He led them backstage where they were instructed to go on stage once the talk show host announced their names.

Maite was growing more and more nervous by the second. She wasn't sure why she felt that way, she had been in front of large audiences before. Although, those were in different circumstances. Being up on stage singing was different than having someone ask questions about yourself in front of a lot of people. Her palms were sweaty and she began picking at her nails. She couldn't stand still to save her life and her breathing was increasing rapidly. 

Suddenly, she felt a hand slide into hers and give it a gentle squeeze. Maite looked at the hand, then followed the tanned arm up to its owner.

Her eyes locked on to deep green ones and she momentarily forgot about everything else.