Chapter 16

A few days had passed since the incident in the airport and there were only a few more concerts left in the first leg of the tour before they would be back home for a little while before starting the second leg.

In the meanwhile, Maite's feelings for Lauren had only intensified as time went on. Dinah and Normani had ambushed her the day of their first concert in Brazil. They swore on their lives that Lauren liked her. When she asked if Lauren had told them that, they responded with "I mean, no. She didn't say it verbally, but she didn't have to. We could just tell. I mean, did you see the way she reacted on the bus to the hotel? She was so protective."

Maite wanted to believe their words, and a little part of her did, but she couldn't let herself fall for the false hope. But in reality, it was a little too late for that. Lauren was on her mind all the time. She was the first thing she'd think of when she woke up and the last thing she thought of before bed. Lauren had her whipped. She'd bend over backwards for her, not that Lauren had any clue about that. She filled so many pages of her journal with writing and drawings of her Cuban crush. She even wrote a few songs all about Lauren that'd she'd probably never perform for anyone.

To be blunt, Maite adored Lauren.

Yet, ever since the day at the airport, Lauren had been a little distant. Not to all of the girls, only to Maite. She'd barely say a few words to the younger girl unless she absolutely had to. Like for example, the other day, managing, the band, the girls, and their parents went out to eat at a fancy restaurant after the show. At the restaurant, Camila was sitting next to Maite on her right and an empty seat on her left. Lauren was the only person who hadn't taken a seat at that time and the only options for seating was either by Maite, which was where the girls were, or on the other side of the table where the parents were. Lauren walked directly past Maite, not even glancing in her direction, and sat with their parents. Even though Maite hadn't know the green-eyed girl for a long time, she knew Lauren normally sat with the girls at any events. Even Camila had noted that that was unlike her band member. Also, other times Maite would smile at Lauren only for her to look away. Each time Lauren did something like that, it was like a punch in the gut to Maite. She had no idea as to why Lauren was giving her the cold shoulder.

Unless Lauren doesn't like her.

No. She wouldn't believe that. Lauren likes her, maybe not in the same way Maite likes her, but as a friend. She had to. If she didn't like Maite she wouldn't have spent the day with her in Peru, or have helped her in the airport. She wouldn't have blown up on Normani and Dinah when they left her in the airport. Friends cared for one another and Lauren definitely seemed to care for her. What if Lauren didn't want to deal with her anymore? Maite figured her having a panic attack probably scared her off. Maite saw herself as a lot to handle so she wouldn't blame Lauren if that's the reason she was being distant.

This all confused Maite. She yearned to reach out to Lauren and ask her what was up, but she was afraid that it would make the situation a lot worse. Lauren barely gave her any attention anymore and it was killing Maite so if Lauren cut off communication completely, then Maite wasn't sure what she'd do. She wasn't sure how much more she could take. Lauren was basically shunning her and she had no idea why! It frustrated her to no end. When she asked the other girls about it they claimed they had no idea what was going on, but they agreed that Lauren was definitely acting strange.

Soon they'd be back in the U.S. which meant Lauren and Chad were bound to hang out which also meant that they'd probably kiss or do whatever it is they did when they were together before the tour began. And seeing how Lauren seemed to not want anything to do with their opening act, Maite didn't stand a chance with her. She didn't want to think about what Lauren and Chad would be doing once they go home. She hoped they'd kept it PG.