Chapter 45

Thud. Tap. Thud. Tap. Thud.

That's all Lauren could hear as she sat in her car, her heart racing and her fingers tapping on the steering wheel. 

Outside the sun was out and shinning, the whizzing of cars would come and go, and occasionally people would walk by.

The drive there took about an hour, even though it normally would take half that long. Lauren had taken every back road she could find, trying to give herself more time.

She had been sitting in her car for about half an hour with nothing but the AC on.

Every once in a while she would look out of her window and up to where Maite's apartment was, but for the most part she would be spacing out.

"Fuck," Lauren said for what must have been the hundredth time since she had been sitting in her car.

Her legs felt like jelly and her arms felt heavy. She felt like if she were to talk a step out of the car then her body would just collapse right there on the sidewalk.

It was around 12 in the afternoon. She hadn't wanted to come earlier in the day when Maite could be sleeping and then knock on the door, forcing her to wake up in a bad mood.

And she couldn't come later because of the barbecue her family was throwing. 

The barbecue that Maite was invited to.

Even though she had been doing it for the marjoity of the time she spent in her car, Lauren ran over what she could say once Maite opened the door.

She planned to greet the Argetinenan and ask if she could come in. Then she would go on to apologize and explain her actions. And lastly she would ask if Maite would take her back. 

Lauren shook her head at herself, the plan was dumb. 

She looked over to the roses and stuffed animal she had on the passenger seat. Maybe she should have gotten more for her. Not chocolates, since Maite wasn't a big fan of chocolate. Maite loved hot cheetos, but that didn't seem appropriate.

Maybe she should leave the duck in the car and give her only the roses. The roses were sweet and simple, the duck just felt random. But it wasn't random she began to think. It was her and Maite's thing.

"Fuck it," she muttered and reached over grabbing the items and opening her car door.

Her black boots hit the ground with a slight thud and she locked the car by pressing a button on her key.

Every step she took felt like she was walking through mud-her feet felt like she had to put in extra effort to lift them up and move them.

As she neared the white wooden door of Maite's apartment, her heart race picked up and her hands felt sweaty. 

She wiped them on her skin tight black jeans before she put her finger on the doorbell and forced herself to push down.

"I can do this," she whispered to herself repeatedly.

About fifteen seconds passed and the door in front of her was still closed. 

If she was lucky, Maite wasn't home. 

But, she rang again, just in case.

Again there was no answer.

Defeated she began to walk away and head down the stairs when she heard the door creak open.

"Lauren?" Maite called, puzzled.

Instantly, her body froze in place and she didn't know what to do.