2

We ran inside the building, tough guy barking orders to everyone.

"Daryl, cover the back." He said to my old friend. Daryl didn't even look at me once, other than when I showed up to defend Rick.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The scientist interrupted my thoughts.

Rick spoke for the group, "A chance."

"That's asking an awful lot these days." He rolled his eyes, obviously tired of wasting time.

"I know." Rick mumbled, though we all heard it. He didn't plan on giving up on his group. The scientist looked like he was having an inner conflict.

Eventually, he said, "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

"We can do that." Rick spoke again.

The scientist sighed, "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now."

Everyone ran outside, going to their vehicles, while I just ran out to the one I locked myself in. I grabbed my duffel bag, weapons (knife, bat, gun), and guitar.

As we arrived inside, the scientist spoke, "Once this door closes, it stays closed."

We nodded, and beeps sounded around the room.

"Vi, seal the main entrance." He said. "Kill the power up here."

More rattles and clangs filled our ears as the man led us to an elevator, pressed the down button, and we moved.

"Rick Grimes." Rick stuck his hand out.

"Dr. Edwin Jenner."

Jenner? What? As in, Cory Jenner? As in, my last name? No, it had to be a coincidence.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" The sweet looking Korean man asked, talking about the gun in Jenner's hand.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself." He shrugged.

"But you look harmless enough. Except you." He pointed to the brown haired little boy, attached to his mothers side, "I'll have to keep my eye on you."

Even though I didn't know the little kid, or anyone here for that matter, we all laughed.

We heard a ding as we exited the elevator.

The short, grey haired lady asked, "Are we underground?"

Jenner raised a ginger eyebrow, "Are you claustrophobic?"

"A little." She admitted.

"Try not to think about it." He looked at her pitifully. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room."

Lights turned on in the room we stood in, revealing tons and tons of electronical stuff none of us knew anything about.

"Welcome to zone 5." Jenner said.

We all marveled at the beauty, it was clean, expensive looking, and it seemed safe.

"Where is everybody?" Tough guy asked.

Jenner didn't answer.

"The other doctors, the staff?" I questioned, confused.

"I'm it. It's just me here." He looked kind of offended that we expected more than him.

"What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?" The black woman hoped.

"Vi, say hello to our guests." Jenner sighed. "Tell them... Welcome."

The computer said, "Hello, guests. Welcome."

"I'm all that's left."

***