12

CORY'S POV

***

"NO!" I yelled, running up to his discolored and undead body.

I looked into his tinted yellow eyes, observing his grey hair and stubble, with his right forearm replaced by a contraption that had a knife attached to it.

"Merle... who did this?" I whispered, hardly able to speak.

He simply groaned in reply, getting off his knees. I cried out, repeating 'no' over and over again, punching the ground.

Daryl finally caught up with me, seeing what I saw. He fell to the ground, dropping his crossbow with him.

"No! No! No, no, no!" He yelled out, wiping his sweat all over his face.

I took in a shaky breath, not understanding at all why someone would hurt Merle. Sure, he was a racist, sexist, rude prick, but he was just misunderstood. I knew him as well as his brother knew him, maybe a little better, and I knew Merle was just rude to people to hide the fact he was hurt. But he didn't deserve this.

I layed on my back, staring up at the sky. Why? Why him? Why is God taking the most important people to me?

Daryl suddenly stood, picking up a knife. He ran to Merle's body, shoving him to the ground, stabbing him in the face, time over time again. After awhile, he finally stopped.

Daryl just crawled back to me, laying next to me. We felt the same pain. We both just lost the only thing we had to live for.

***

I woke up, sitting up quickly. My heart was beating quickly, and my face was soaked with tears.

Thank god, it was only a dream. I won't have to witness Merle dead, because he's already gone.

I quickly crawled over to the corner of my tent where my bag was located. I went through it, seeing my clothes, a few other things I found at the store yesterday, and some food. I smiled to myself, time to leave again.

I slung the bag over my shoulder, standing up in my tent. I walked out through the tent flap, looking around to see if anyone was awake.

I looked toward the camp, house, and woods. No one was awake. I started walking through the field, in the direction of Daryl's camp way off in the distance.

Man, this has fucking sucked, these past few days. I found out Shane could be the father of Lori's baby, I almost died twice, Glenn saw me half naked, and I left twice, including today.

And I also wanna know why I was so easily excepted into the group. Like why does everyone automatically trust me? I jus met them that day, and they allowed Glenn to share a room with me. I could've been a psycho! Like, is there something about me?

I was startled out of my thoughts when a leaf was crunched. I quickly looked up, seeing someone moving in the woods. I took a step closer, trying to see what it was.

Daryl stepped out from behind a tall-standing tree, and I suddenly became even more terrified. Daryl's gonna kill me now. He was pissed the first time. It's gonna be worse now. "Jenner, what the hell 're ya doin out here?"

I didn't know how to respond, should I lie? Tell him I was leaving? "I...uh...was just...uhh... leaving..."

His eyes widened quickly, "HELL NO YOU AREN'T." He didn't yell, but the way he said it, he might as well yelled.

"Mhm? And how do you plan to stop me?" I suddenly had this burst of confidence, which helped me to talk back to Daryl.

"I don' want ya in danger. Merle'd never forgive me. I don't want to be that guy, but if I have to be, to keep you here, I'll go tell the group. Please don't make me. I don' wanna be tha' guy."