20

CORY'S POV

I ran into the house, followed by Daryl, Rick, and Carl. Rick went into the basement, while Daryl and Carl explored the main floor. I pointed my gun in front of me as I walked up the stairs to the small upstairs.

I looked around, not seeing a single geek. I saw on the windowsill though, sat an owl.

I whistled, which was my signal to Daryl. He came up the stairs stealthily, and I pointed at the bird. He tilted his head toward the stairs, directing me to leave.

I walked down to the places Daryl was supposed to check through. Suddenly, something hit the doorknob of one of the rooms. I put my hand on the knob, and twisted it open at the same time as the thing on the other side did.

I saw Rick standing there, looking relieved. I bit my lip, and turned to head back to the living room.

We all met there, and I signalled the group to come in. In walked T, Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Beth, big-bellied Lori, and long-bearded Hershel. I smiled Lori.

Lately, I've been really thinking. If the baby would turn out with brown eyes, what would we do? Shane's dead... and now I'm about to cry again.

I assume Rick and Lori are just gonna take the baby, and it'll all be normal.

Carl came running in with a can, all excited. He kneeled down and grabbed the can opener, then cracked open the can. It gave off an unpleasant aroma.

Rick stumbled over to his son on the floor, bent down, and observed the can's label. He threw it across the room, making me assume it was dog food again.

I braided my hair to the side. I looked down at what I was wearing. I had on the shorts from not too long ago, and my blood red shirt that I had the day of the CDC explosion. I also wore Shane's Sheriff's Deputy hat, and '22' necklace. My usual combat boots cover my feet, and i had on my lucky bra.

I was beginning to realize the small variety of clothing we had anymore. I had 8 shirts/sports bras, 7 pairs of pants/shorts, 2 jackets, and 2 pajama outfits. And for weapons, I had my bat, ny new python Rick found me on the road the other day, and two knives. The one with the black handle was mine that I got from my father, but the brown handled knife was... I think maybe Merle's from before the apocolypse.

T-Dog gasped slightly, getting everyone's attention. I saw what he saw. A large herd was coming toward the house.

Our group of four (Rick, Daryl, Carl, and I) led everyone out to the cars. Rick and his family, along with Carol, got into one, while Glenn, T, and the Greene's got into another. Daryl hopped onto Merle's motorcycle, and I got on behind him. My arms immediately went to his waist.

He started the loud motorcycle, which concerned me, because geeks could easily get us. But I thought different thoughts as Daryl sped in front of the others, leading the way.

*

Rick honked his horn, informing the rest of us that we needed to pull over. Daryl stopped Merle's bike in front of everyone else's vehicles, and climbed off. He helped me off, which pissed me off. I've been hating it lately when people help me with stuff I can do alone.

Rick reached the rest of us, and began to direct us. "We need to stop running. We're out of food, and ammo is almost out too." He turned to Daryl and I. "Can you go hunting?"

I nodded, answering for the both of us. "We'll look for a place to stay while we're at it."

Rick pressed his lips together in an approving way. "Thank you."

I nodded again, and Daryl slung his crossbow over his shoulder. I placed my Python in my belt and tucked my red shirt behind it. Daryl started walking into the woods, and I had to run to catch up.