22

CORY'S POV

I watched as Rick opened the gate and let our small group follow through. Lori, Beth, Carol, Carl, Hershel, and T stayed behind while the rest of us planned to go into the deep abyss that was this prison, and clear out some of the geeks.

"Remember, stay in group formation." Rick reminded us.

We all stood back to back, each of us facing different directions. It was the safest way to get through the prison without getting hurt, or infected.

I was in between Rick and Daryl as we locked the gate behind us, and started moving toward the entrance to the prison. A geek sauntered toward Rick and he stuck his knife through its head, ending its second life.

We rounded the corner, no longer in formation, and Rick immediately backed us all up.

As soon as Rick did so, two geeks wearing full security armor appeared in front of us. Daryl shot an arrow at one of them, but it did nothing but bounce off of the plastic of the face mask.

Rick tried stabbing it, which also failed. Panic set through the small group, even me, until an idea set through me.

I charged at the geek, shoving Merle's knife through its jaw, and into its head. I pulled his knife back out as the geek fell to the ground.

I turned around slowly, facing the men/Maggie. "Did you see that?!"

Maggie laughed along with me, as she and Glenn did it to the other infected security guard.

Rick ran toward the gate and kicked a geek in the chest like he had done yesterday, and shut the gate. He locked it, and exhaled deeply.

No one second guessed anything as we sauntered into the prison. We rounded corner after corner, always coming face to face with a tiny herd of the undead. Then we took them all down, and headed into a room, which led to a corridor with multiple cells on the ground floor of it, and then stairs led to another walkway of cells.

Maggie and I took the upstairs cells and stabbed each of the imprisoned geeks in the cells. All the growling ceased in the grey colored area.

We collected back together in the main room, all sitting in our own worlds, satisfied at our new home.

*

Rick and Glenn returned with the rest of the group. Carol looked up at the ceiling, spinning around in a happy daze.

Everyone began to discuss their sleeping arrangements. "We sleep in the cells?" Beth asked, hoping to confirm that we'd have mattresses.

Rick nodded, but Daryl interjected. "I ain't sleepin' in no cage. I'll take the perch."

He walked up the stairs, while the rest of us split up to different places, deciding on our 'rooms'.

I bounced up the stairs smiling. I leaned against the cold, grey wall and watched as Daryl pulled a mattress out from a nearby cell. He dragged it to the corner and set his stuff next to it. He then sighed, and turned to me.

"So... uh... where ya sleepin'?" He awkwardly asked, scratching the back of his head.

I shrugged, "I'm taking a cell. This one, here." I pointed to the last cell in the line of cells, closest to Daryl, and the stairs.

He nodded, signalling me to walk away. I slugged my one bag into the cell, and placed it on the small table I had, along with a wooden chair. I observed my cell.

On the right wall, in the back corner, there was a bunk bed with a stained mattress and a ugly colored pillow. Blood splattered the walls, dried and discolored. In the back left corner, next to the bed, was the small table and the chair. The rest of the room was empty, with the exception of a crate at the end of the bunk bed.