10

CORY'S POV

After awhile, Hershel confirmed that I hadn't broken my arm. Just a sprain. But Daryl, he was skimmed by a bullet, shot by Andrea. I already didn't like her, shooting my friend's younger brother won't help.

I walked into Daryl's room, and he looked tired, but cleaner than hours before. He looked alive again.

I sat down next to him, being careful with the cast like thing around my arm. "How ya feeling?"

"Bout as good as I look." He joked, "Sorry 'bout ya arm." He looked down at my wrist.

"It's okay. Not like you planned to get shot and fall on me." I chuckled slightly.

He slightly smiled, then it turned into a frown.

"Why'd ya leave?"

I frowned next, putting my head in my hands. I breathed in a deep breath, "I had too Daryl. I-I-I just had too."

"No. No ya didn't. No one forced ya to leave. Ya didn't have to. So why did ya leave?" Daryl was still frowning. He knew there was a reason.

"Daryl, I don't have any reason to stay! No one needs me here! No one cares! I'm only here to cause trouble! I had to go!"

He stayed silent, sitting up. He looked upset clearly.

"Daryl, no one cares about me here... Merle was the only person on this planet that ever gave a fuck before this. Now that the world has gone to shit, everyone pretends to care about me because I'm one of the few still alive. And it's just good to stay close to the living."

Daryl still stayed quiet for a moment, thrn all of a sudden, he whispered, "But you need to stay here. For me-Merle..."

I shook my head, "No. I don't. Merle's gone, everyone already told me. He was my only reason of living before this shit. And now he's gone. So I have no reason at all."

I started walking off, and he yelled after me, "Get your skinny ass in here! Ypu arent getting away that easily."

I turned and looked into his eyes while standing in the doorway. "Just did." Then I walked out.

*

I sat in the tent I've been staying in, my own tent. I'm happy that I at least get to be alone for awhile in there.

When I stormed out of the house, I was greeted by everyone, because it was the first anyone other than Daryl and Hershel saw me since I sprained my arm. I hadn't been able to look into Shane's eyes. I don't know why, it just hurt. He hadn't spoken to me since before I left. I think he's pissed at me.

But I'm alone in my tent, alone with my thoughts. Just like it needs to be.

Merle.

He... he was life. I had nothing, no one, not even Michelle. Michelle was never there for me. Never. But he was. Merle was my bar buddy, and I always saw him hitting on other ladies. But he never hit on me. I know it wasn't anything personal, he just respected me. Actually, he always helped me when I came to his house after a break up.

*FLASHBACK*

I ran down the road to the Dixon's place, crying. The only safe haven sometimes. Mom and Dad are always fighting, and Michelle's never home.

I ran up onto the porch, and quickly knocked. Their father answered.

"Ugh, you again." He scoffed, looking me up and down.

I continued to let tears run down my face. "Is M-Merle home?"

Dammit, Cory! You know not to show Will Dixon fear!