Chapter Thirteen - 'Silent Showdown'

[ A/N: Thank you all for your patience and comments...I've been having some trouble writing for a while now but the guilt for not updating you guys has gotten me ironically out of this bind haha. Anyway, you probably will start to notice some changes and editing soon (like changes of 'Psyche' to 'Psych'), after going back to look at my chapters I've noticed a lot of things I'd like to fix and make better! Without further ado, here's the new chap. Enjoy!!]

-

I stared at Tyler, for a moment I had sworn he seemed shorter than usual. Only before I quickly realised he was only incredibly fatigued.

"Why're you working so hard?" I found myself muttering before I could stop myself. I'm just as tired with this topic as he probably is, because when the words leave my mouth, I instantly want to take them back.

Tyler looked up from his phone and narrowed his eyes, it was apparent that this was the start of his defence mechanism. "Yeah yeah, college, I got it." I continued hastily before he could get a word in, "But when someone like Janice starts worrying..."

He sighs, putting his phone away. "Janice and I barely even cross paths, she wouldn't notice if I came home one day with bleached hair."

I hadn't been over to visit in quite a while, but I didn't doubt him- from what I remembered was that despite the two living together, they didn't converse much. Despite Janice's adamant objection since the first day, she was still his aunt even if she didn't want to be seen or called as so most of the time. Their first encounter happened to be the first day he had to move in with her, which said a lot about the Guerra family ties.

Janice was no Elizabeth, but she wasn't entirely great either. I figured Tyler to her was like a son she never signed up for.

So if I didn't worry about Tyler, no one else really would. Befriending Ash and Kimmy somewhat eased me as I was quite sure that if he had to suffer with me and me alone he would eventually find me as an annoyance rather than a friend. But Tyler being Tyler, he would never admit such a thing.

I decide to get the answer now. "Why're you working so hard, Ty?" I repeated firmly. Was he really that set on college? During high school he seemed to be just as dismissive of the topic as I was. Conversations about careers barely came up seriously, too.

Tyler straightened up, looking as if to think of an excuse. When his brown eyes finally meet mine again, he smiles. "I wanted to tell you when I was ready but-"

"You're having a kid?" I joked, raising an eyebrow.

He choked and began laughing, his shoulders trembling. His joy is infectious. "Liv, I'm trying to be serious here."

"Fine, what is it?"

"I'm trying to get a place of my own." Tyler finally said.

I almost want to smack myself for not finding this conclusion myself. It had been obvious from the very start. Tyler hated living with Janice, he had admitted countless times about feeling like a major burden. And even after four years, he'd still rather call my home his, coming over as frequently as he can. Christmas, birthdays, thanksgivings...

I feel like crying for him.

He notices and expresses confusion. "Why do you look like I just killed that cat of yours?"