Chapter Twenty-Two - 'You Could Give The Devil Chills'

"You're finally awake." someone says, I turn to find Elizabeth sitting by the door of the hospital room. She's gripping the arms of her chairs rather tightly. If I didn't know any better I'd think she was worried.

"Ah." I said, inhaling deeply, "I'm not dead."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, getting up from her seat and approaching the bed, a waft of her perfume hits me. I much prefer Grandma's. "You had an asthma attack, remember?" she said.

I frowned, reaching up to my throat absently, "Oh...right."

"You seemed quite out of it for the most part but they ran tests." She confirmed.

"Yeah... I remember."

"Yeah." she said, her eyes trailing over to my right, I follow her gaze to find a bouquet of roses sitting atop a small table. "You got lucky. Apparently some guy brought you here when he saw you having the attack." she continued, picking up a small piece of paper and handing it over, "He left a note with it."

The note read, 'Rest well. - S' in a neat cursive.

"Some other guy came too. I think." she said absently.

I sat upright. "What?"

She arched a thin, uninterested eyebrow, "Asian, freakishly tall, dressed for mourning."

Her description of Reece was surprisingly vivid despite the lack of it. Guilt settled at the pit of my stomach for wasting his time for having him come all the way here for nothing. I'd assumed he wouldn't come after our lines had cut off.

"Is he your boyfriend?" she teased wickedly.

"I don't have a boyfriend..." I said, leaning back into the bed. "Where's my dad?"

Elizabeth diverted her eyes, "He couldn't leave work."

I nodded, titling my head back. "Couldn't, huh?" I murmured, "So he called you to come in his place?"

She scoffed, gesturing down at her work attire, "I work here believe it or not."

"Right. Never mind."

"He does care, you know." she suddenly said, "In his own way."

I laughed, running my finger over a scar on my palm, "Clearly I woke up in another dimension if I've got you reassuring me."

"I'm not reassuring you. I'm telling you." Elizabeth snapped, loose hair falling out of her bun, "Not everyone cares in the same way, besides, you're eighteen- did you expect to be coddled the rest of your life?"

"Please stop talking." I said, pulling the thin blanket off and beginning off slide the hospital bed.

"You stop." she said firmly, crossing her arms.

"I can rest at home or something." I murmured, "I'm going to miss dinner with Grandma and Ty."

"You've probably already missed it."

"What?"

"You've slept for a while."

I groaned, "No no no..."