Chapter Nineteen - 'I Sound Like George'

Brian did not look like a butler. Instead, he reminded me starkly of a teacher from high school, the type who didn't care for gum or cussing and more than often blended in with the students rather than the teachers.

Admittedly, I'd imagined Brian to be in a suit and British looking. I was very wrong on both accounts. Brian looked to be in his late 20s, wore casual clothes, was Irish and is good to look at. The thought of Grandma's butler possibly being young had never crossed my mind. Weirdly enough, even as her own granddaughter, Brian could pass as her nephew.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Liv." Brian said kindly, his accent barely noticeably. He puts the grocery bags down and turns to greet me properly.

I like him already for calling me by my preferred name, "Finally?"

Brian nodded, smiling. "Caroline talks about you all the time- you're really as pretty as she boasts."

I gaped, "She speaks about me? Really?"

He laughed, a little startled by my strong reaction. "She does."

"Oh good! You've introduced yourselves!" Grandma said, walking in, "Darling, you look beautiful in the dress!" She's about to come up to me until her eyes catch Tyler and she immediately drops her bags to the floor and surges pass me instead to cradle his head, "Tyler! It's so wonderful to see you dear, you look so much like your- you're so handsome!" Grandma corrects herself quickly, her expression softening. Tyler doesn't notice, too happy within her presence. He leans into her hand like a cat wanting affection.

I let the two have their moment a little longer, second to his own, Tyler saw Grandma Caroline as a parental figure. It wasn't hard to understand how, even despite living a long way away, Grandma had a gift for making everyone feel loved- it's a good idea to stay on her good side.

"Grandma, this is Ash." Tyler said, introducing our smiley friend who didn't seem to mind being ignored for a few seconds.

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." Ash said politely.

Grandma waved her hand in the air dismissively- though clearly pleased, "I like you already!" She chuckled, "Do you like curry, dear?"

Ash grinned, flashing his pearly whites, "I do. Sorry for coming un-"

"None of that, dear, the more the merrier!" Grandma said, "You two can come and help me carry these into the kitchen and chop up some vegetables."

My friends quickly oblige, Ash mimicking Tyler without any hesitance as if he'd already adapted to the atmosphere.

"What about me?" I jokingly whinged, waving my a hands in the air for some attention.

Grandma glanced at me, "Can you still cook worth a darn?"

I reddened, "Well..."

"She can still only make ramen." Tyler snickered. Ash and Brian laugh at this.

"You're not any better." I said, grabbing the groceries out of Tyler's hand. "How hard can chopping a few vegetables be?" I retorted.

"You have the worst hand eye coordination, Liv." Tyler said, not stopping me.

I frowned, "Do not! I just don't pay attention sometimes."