Chapter Eighteen - 'Scars Don't Go Away'

The following day I visit Jackie's store again to help out. The day consisted of her stubbornly insisting on paying me for my time but as I was much more stubborn, I'd eventually gotten her to let it go. I especially wasn't going to take her money after having her tell me she was saving up for her retirement fund. On top of that, she'd already begun designing my Halloween costume.

To my relief, SP hadn't shown up to help as he had yesterday. I suppose it wasn't much of a surprise considering he had another identity, another job. Jackie does not bring up my sudden departure from the day before, which I'm grateful for, but I'd caught the look of surprise on her face when she saw me walk into the store- she'd been shocked to see I'd actually come, even though I told her I would. I pretend not to notice her walking eggshells around me for the entirety of the day. I pretend, only until it really begins to bother me.

"Did he say something to you?" I asked quietly in the midst of what must've been for her- comfortable silence. But the silence bites me and I can no longer endure it.

Jackie shook her head, placing a piece of garment down and turning to face me, a sad smile on her face. "I wish he would." She said, her eyes glassy. Jackie has very pretty eyes.

I didn't know how to reply. I just nodded, hating that I understood. I turned away and continued placing pins into marked pieces of fabric for her, I'd winced, driving a pin into my finger- I drew blood.

Then she said, "I caught your face, when you left."

I didn't turn back to look at her.

"You looked like you were about to cry."

I forced a light laugh, then I hated myself- because my own reaction had reminded me obnoxiously of what SP had done the other day. "I was just allergic to his cologne." I lied.

If she saw through it, she didn't say so. "He'd probably change it if you asked." She said gently.

"Do you have a bandaid, Jackie?" I asked.

-

The rest of the day goes by quickly and before I know it, it's beginning to get dark and Jackie is telling me to go home before it gets too dangerous to walk.

When I get home, I notice an unfamiliar red car in the driveway.

I heard her before I saw her. "Livvy dear!" A familiar lady in her trademark red stepped into view and began to make her way over, "What on earth happened to you?" Grandma gasped.

"It's nothing, I kind of just fell down the stairs the other day." I explained sheepishly. Too tired to lie. Or perhaps the thought of lying to the woman who raised me to have good manners frightened me.

She brushed her finger against my eyebrow where the cut was already scabbed over. "Scars don't go away." She muttered, "Your acne scars are faintly still there."

"I've come to terms with it, maybe it'll make me look older and cooler." I grinned, looking up only to find her frowning.

"I'll never understand your obsession to look older, it should be the other way around!" She said as a matter of fact, wagging her finger in the air. "Girls nowadays... the day you look older than me is the day I'll cry."

I laughed.

"Now where is that father of yours? He kept the doors unlocked, is he out of his mind?"