Chapter Thirty-Four - 'Do I Have To Beat Someone Up?'

[ A/N: My best friend is an awesome poet, just found out she had a piece so conveniently written for me to use- here's an excerpt of it. Find/support her at: writerscafe.org/simplemelody. Back to business; here's the chapter you've been waiting for. Vote, comment & enjoy! ]

-

I'm an idiot.

I can admit it, but I can't seem to find out how not to be. After Jackie had asked about Super Psych over the phone that I'd requested to have on speaker, I finally managed to calmly answer her after a prolonged moment of panicked silence, all the while I felt Reece's heavy, curious gaze on me that I couldn't bring myself to face.

The call had shortly ended and I'd left Jackie with a not so helpful answer about Super Psych and Reece and I proceeded to silently walk to the car with the tension I'd created hanging in the air, praying he wouldn't ask what anyone else in the situation would.

So here I am, currently slumped into the seat of the car, pretending to be asleep- which even I knew wasn't very believable- but Reece didn't question me, and I was thankful for it because I didn't know how I would answer anything for the rest of my life. I wasn't entirely sure if it was the guilt of letting my knowledge of Super Psych slip or the fact that the secret which had been silently chewing at me was finally finished eating and had resulted in the hollow feeling in my chest that I couldn't begin to explain.

Why'd I have to be so left in the dark yet so in the know of something I shouldn't? Why'd I have to stop and stay to help out a stranger in an alleyway? My world is completely different to that of a Super's, why'd I ever yearn to have it? I can hardly handle myself, much less my life.

My chest constricted and my throat seemed to have it's own mind and opinion about me, as if deciding that closing up and preventing me from breathing properly was going to keep me from digging myself further into a hole.

"Olivia." Reece said, snapping me out of my disarrayed thoughts. I opened my eyes to find that the car had stopped at the side of the road. My throat only seemed to tighten further as I realised the situation I was now in, causing me to start dry-heaving for oxygen that suddenly seemed completely out of reach.

"Reece." I rasped, clawing at my throat. In immediate understanding, he unbuckled his seatbelt and quickly reached over to my side to yank open the glove compartment where I'd left one of my inhalers.

Everything seemed so silly, so dramatic as the panic slowly settled and I got ahold of the inhaler. I'm a mess. Reece is hovering over me, concern etched across his sharp, complex features- his presence suddenly feels a lot heavier. I've put a huge damper over everything.

I just want to start spewing my tangled thoughts but all that comes out is lame reassurance he didn't ask for, "I'm okay." I breathed, my eyes stinging, maybe it was more panic than attack, maybe I was just choking up on a cry that was just refusing to come out. Maybe.

Reece didn't waver, staring at me intently with his eyebrows drawn together, calculating something.

"I'm okay now." I said firmly, looking out the window, "Thank you." I said, "How'd you know-"

"You stopped breathing." He said coolly, and it's the first time he's ever cut me off. I turned to look back at him surprise, only to find that Reece was back in his seat with his head tipped back and his eyes completely concealed his hair.