Chapter Thirty-Eight - 'I've Seen Her Without Bangs'

[ A/N: Fun fact: I'm actually a monster who feeds on your turmoil and feelings ;]

-

When Reece and I descended the stairs, I first noticed how all the lights were downstairs were off, then I noticed how quiet it was. I turned to look at Reece questionably in the dimness, but he just squeezes my hand as we reach the last step.

What the hell happened? "Did our friends get kidnapped?" I voiced aloud, genuinely concerned about what on earth has happened- how long we're Reece and I gone for?

Reece laughed softly beside me as he leaned down and placed a gentle kiss against head, "Happy birthday, Olivia." he murmured, and at this, the lights suddenly flickered on and our supposedly kidnapped friends jumped out from the once dark corners of the lounge yelling overwhelming phrases that I gathered to all have the same premise- happy birthday.

Ah, that.

I'd been so hyped up for the release of the documentary today that the mere date on the poster only registered as opening day when it was also the date of my nineteenth birthday, how on earth did I manage to forget the one thing I'd always been looking forward to since the start of every year? Time has been so fleeting...

"I suspected you knew since the beginning but then again, you're an idiot." Tyler said, appearing from the kitchen with a large chocolate cake presented on a platter. Upon processing that this was meant as a surprise, I suddenly realised the state of the house that looked more homey than ever before, the lounge had a mass of steamers strewn across every surface and plates of my favoured foods lined up along the coffee table. Kimmy, Ash and Chrissy still looked like they'd just been caught in the act of decorating, they still had bundles of streamers clutched in their hands and Kimmy was struggling to put on a party hat with one hand. I beamed at the sight, overwhelmed with joy.

"Where'd you get all this stuff from?" I laughed, running up to Tyler who was making his way towards us and peering at the chocolate cake which had my name written with icing in wonky cursive.

Tyler put the cake down onto the coffee table and waited for everyone to gather around me. "I know it's not the prettiest cake ever..." Tyler trailed off sheepishly. Wait, Tyler made this cake? He was just as bad a cook as me!

"It's beautiful. And if it tastes horrible I'll still tell you it's amazing." I grinned, giving his cheek a light pinch. The thought and effort warmed my heart, the cake didn't look very appealing, but in an odd way it looked like it tasted amazing.

"You better, it took me three tries to get it right." He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Wait, so, was Reece supposed to be my distraction?" I asked everyone, turning around to single Reece out in particular who merely shrugged in response, placing a party hat over Ash's head.

Kimmy threw her arms over my shoulders tightly into a hug, "That was the one thing we forgot to plan, but it worked out! Why would he cut himself on purpose, silly?" She laughed.

Reece and I proceeded to have a silent conversation with expressions as our friends laughed at my apparent naivety, I practically told him he was crazy with my eyebrows and he told me he knew with his charming half smile. I don't know if I want to kiss him or smack him for his incredulous stunt, I settle with controlling myself as Ash whipped out a lighter from his back pocket and began lighting up the ever so beautiful cake my best friend has made.