Chapter Twenty-Five - 'The Liv Limit'

[ A/N: Here's the chapter, 2000+ words more than usual! I'm currently procrastinating studying for my exams. You're welcome, but I'm screwed. Enjoy! ]

-

"Your coffee is delicious." Ash smiled, putting down his cup.

I grinned, "Thanks! Frankly, it's the only talent I have in the kitchen."

"You work at a bakery right?" He asked, leaning into the counter. His body language is engaging and mildly intimidating, I feel as if I should nod and smile more than usual. I don't know how he can be so bubbly in the morning when he looks like he hasn't slept for the last two days. I was impressed nonetheless, everything about him was somewhat infectious and I found myself mimicking his posture.

"Well, a café, but we do sell baked goods." I answered, pushing around the scrambled eggs with my fork. I'm pretty sure it's the same café where we first saw each other.

"Oh, my bad." Ash apologised, "Sorry, I've been kind of out of it lately..."

I shook my head, "It's strange when you're serious. I don't know why you're apologising."

"Especially for the day where I, you know..." he trailed off, his gaze turning distant again. He's lively one minute and almost lifeless the next.

Ah. "Grabbed your brother by the collar and accused him of pushing me down the stairs?" I joked, I recoil at the insensitivity of my own words, but Ash just smiles sadly. Always smiling, even when he seems to be hurting. "I'm sorry. Clearly I'm not any better." I murmured, shoving the rest of the eggs into my mouth. "I've been kind of out of it as well." I admitted, unsure how to make him feel better- I've never really seen him, sad? Was this his sad?

"Wanna talk about it?" Ash offered seriously, taking another small sip of the coffee. "Or why you're actually here?"

I shrugged, flashing him a grin, "Depends, care to tell me why you look like a smiling corpse?"

He laughed quietly, shaking his head. "Smiling corpse?"

"Yeah. Is it too wild to assume it has something to do with Kimmy?"

Ash chewed his bottom lip, a habit I see both brothers have- or maybe I'm just picking at things to feel better about something I'm not even sure of. "It's nothing really to do with Kai." he answered slowly, attempting to maintain the light atmosphere, "I don't have a proper reason, I've just kind of felt sick lately."

I raised an eyebrow, tugging down at the oversized shirt in habit of my own. "Sick? Like, stomach ache sick?" I asked, half joking.

He chuckled, "Not really. Kind of more on the lines of homesickness. I know it's stupid, but I feel like that explanation makes more sense in my head."

I kind of hate that I understand what he's saying. I hate even more that I find myself pretending not to before I can even think through a more meaningful response, "Isn't this your home?" I dumbly blurted.

"It's Reece's. This to me is more like a final boss stage that is taking forever to get through." he laughed hollowly, "I've been trying to move out, move closer to the college."

"Trying?"

He clenched his jaw, "My parents aren't very convinced."