Chapter Fourteen - 'My Bad'

It was beginning to get dark after dinner with everyone- and we all went out to the parking lot to part ways. Just as I had suspected earlier, Ash was noticeably distancing himself from Reece, creating as much space between the two as possible, even using Tyler and me as barriers. I was sure Tyler had noticed this too because I found him watching them just as I did, waiting for an interaction to prove wrong.

"I don't really want the night to end." Kimmy sighed.

I didn't too. Mostly because their company was always enjoyable and partly because I was curious of Ash and needed an answer to sleep right. "How about you guys all come over? I'll be home alone." I said impulsively.

"Yes!" Kimmy answered quickly, joyous at my suggestion.

"I'm heading home," Reece muttered, shoving his hands into his pockets and beginning to walk off in the opposite direction.

Kimmy took after him, grabbing his arm and yanking him back to us much to his clear dismay. "No, you're not. We walked here together and it's dangerous to go back alone." She scolded, attempting to loom over him- but he was just as tall, maybe even a little more. Times like this, Reece looked closer to Kimmy than Ash- in both senses.

"I can take care of myself." He deadpanned. I kept forgetting Reece was supposed to be the older brother. I wondered how much, he didn't look any more mature than Ash did despite the vast height difference.

"It's not even far, he'll be fine," Ash interjected, laughing.

As if Tyler and I both noticed the forcefulness of his laughter, we both turned to exchange a look with each other.

But Kimmy wasn't having it, shaking her head stubbornly. "Sue me for being rightfully paranoid, have you not seen the news? It's decided, we're all going to Olive's place!"

Kimmy had taken after Ash, getting into the habit of calling me a nickname I hadn't consented. Perhaps I should've told them from the get-go that I didn't hate it because it was used condescendingly against me when I was younger, but used by an ex I had and would succeed in making me cringe every time. From the corner of my eye, I can see Tyler trying to suppress a stupid grin at my expense.

"I don't watch the news, it's depressing nowadays," Ash answered cooly.

Reece sighs and I'm unsure if he's accepted defeat or simply just annoyed.

"Well, there's enough room for all of us in the car," Tyler said.

Together, we made our way towards Tyler's car. Reece was dragging his feet and Kimmy was still holding firmly onto his arm- as if keeping him from fleeing.

"Are your parents always gone?" Ash wondered carefully.

I nodded, hugging my arms to my chest, "One permanently, the other...mostly."

"Was that your way of telling us one of them is dead?" Reece interjected shamelessly, I didn't have to look- there was a smile in his voice. Even after spending the evening in his company, I still didn't know how to feel around him; he had some unnerving villainous characteristics I was familiar with from the comics and movies and despite usually taking the side of the cold and aloof antagonist most of the time, I found it hard trying to make myself like Reece like Kimmy seems to.

Tyler made the amusing sound between a hiccup and a squeak, probably surprised at Reece's unrelenting intrusiveness. I can't help but laugh too as Ash and Kimmy look absolutely horrified. I wasn't as sensitive of this topic as people assumed I'd be.