Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Forty Eight

(A/N: Important author's note at the end so please take the time to read it. It affects the sequel to the book and where I'm planning to end this. I will have some questions for you guys that are crucial to the making of the next book so please, do your part. You guys have been amazing, I just need to map this out before I jump into a huge commitment.)

And now I'm missin' your love

I'm faded once again, I don't know where I am

But I just know I'm driftin' far from you

I'm tryna keep my head strong, but my heart won't

Just let me grow away from you

Don't you know we're driftin' off, driftin' off?

I know you think that it's my fault we're fallin' off

All this hope and disregard, driftin' off

     The song blasted through my speakers while Jake and I laid on my bed, not speaking, not kissing, just there in sincere tranquility

     The song blasted through my speakers while Jake and I laid on my bed, not speaking, not kissing, just there in sincere tranquility. He'd shown about an hour ago and after devouring a whole box of cookies between the two of us, we laid down and just decided to stay there in silence. I knew something was on his mind. He'd been like this since before we picked up our moms and my sister from the airport. It was killing me that I didn't know what was causing him to be so inside of his head. "Jake..." I said quietly, turning on my side and grabbing his hand to play with his fingers. He hummed his response, turning on his side to look at me. "Are you ok?" I spoke, meeting his dark eyes. "I'm fine Baby Girl. Just tired and kind of dreading the end of the year in all honesty." He responded, his smile not quite meeting his eyes. Nonetheless, I smiled and nodded, leaning over and planting a peck on his lips. He pulled my body into his and held me there, resting his forehead against mine. "Princess, I want you to know that no matter what, you are my happily ever after ok? You are the only person I have felt these things for. Nothing is going to change that." He voiced in a tone that almost sounded dreadful. I didn't respond, just wrapped my arms around him tightly and rested my forehead on his chest. Sometimes silence and tranquility can be golden. At other times, it can be the scariest thing.

      I woke up later that day without Jake in my bed and a small note on my nightstand that said he had to go home. Yawning, I groggily ambled over to my vanity where I had left my phone. I had five texts from Jacqueline most of them in all caps talking about how I still need to help her pick her Prom dress. Chuckling at her anxiety on the subject, I called her. It rung about 3 times before she picked up. "Oh thank God. I thought you died Nena. That's not the point here, though. I need help. Plus I miss time with you. I love Cathy but, I need time with my best friend alone." she pleaded, making me realize I've been neglecting time with her. I've either been running around with Jake or with everyone at once, not giving Jaqueline the time of day. "I know. I'm sorry Nena. Be ready in fifteen minutes okay? I'm gonna go pick you up and we can head to the shops downtown to pick out your dress." I smiled, hanging up once she agreed so I could get ready. Running a hand through my tousled curls and waves, I pulled out an off the shoulder top and some high waisted jeans. Once I was dressed, I grabbed my wallet and phone, stuffing them into my small beige purse. I ran down the stairs, grabbed my beige heels and keys that were by the door, and out the door I went.

      Even with my sunglasses, I squinted, waiting in Jaqueline's driveway. I was about to call her when she came bounding out the front door, tying her hair into a high ponytail. She stood outside the passenger side door until she was able to successfully tie her hair back and then hopped into the car. "Oh thank Jesus for the existence of air conditioner. It's basically boiling outside. How are you wearing jeans?" she judged, looking down at her own red high waisted shorts and white crop top. "Because they're white and they look great. That's why." I snorted, pulling out of her driveway and turning up the radio. We sang along to the radio quietly, me driving and Jaqueline tapping away at her phone. When we stopped at a red light she shoved her phone in my face, showing me a deep red mermaid style dress. "I was thinking this one, they have it in stock too so I can try it on." She mused, humming happily to herself once she pulled her phone back and the light turned green. "So, by any chance have you noticed something off Jake? Like, has he mentioned anything when I'm not there or has Mateo said anything?" I questioned, making a left turn on the street where the shop was. From the corner of my eye, I saw her tense and put down her phone. "No. He seems normal to me. Why?" she responded, sounding a bit weary. I shrugged and backed into a parking space. "I'm not sure. He just has seemed very in his head lately. I was just wondering if you noticed it to or knew why." I said nonchalantly, putting the car in park and killing the engine. Jaqueline nodded and got out of the car. Once again, the silence was scary.

      The little bell chimed when we entered the store, alerting the small plump woman behind the counter who seemed to be looking for something. Her head snapped towards us, immediately making her give us a wide smile. She rushed over to us, looking a bit flustered but overall happy. "Hello darlings, how can I help you two beautiful young ladies today?" she sweetly questioned, pushing her glasses up on the bridge of her nose. "Well, I actually already bought my dress here about a week ago but, my best friend here hasn't quite bought it." I chuckled, pointing over at an awestruck looking Jaqueline. "Oh, my. Isn't Prom in like three or four days?" the lady asked, raising an eyebrow and leading us to a rack of dresses. "Exactly why I need to find my dress asap," Jaqueline stated with a nervous smile. I snorted at her procrastination only causing a deathly glare from the blonde with thick eyebrows. Apparently, this was no longer a joking manner. "Do you have any idea what you are looking for sweetheart?" the lady spoke up, giving us a tight-lipped smile. Jaqueline pulled out her phone and handed it over to the woman, crossing her fingers and closing her eyes. "We no longer have this dress but, I think I have a couple you might be interested in." the woman said apologetically when she saw the disappointment on Jaqueline's face. That's how we ended up in a sea of sparkly tulle and delicate lace on a hunt for her perfect dress.

      "I like it. Take it" I nodded, giving her the thumbs up. She sighed and stomped her foot like a child. "Lenne, you said that about the last 5 dresses. I need your actual opinion," she whined, throwing a hanger at me, which I luckily caught. "Sorry, but my stomach might just eat itself if you don't pick one soon. There has to be something there that makes you feel like a princess. It is Fairytale themed after all." I winked making her grumble and stomp back into the dressing room. After a couple of not so quiet curse words and fumbling from inside the dressing room, she stepped out in this beautiful gold dress. She spun and smiled widely. "Love it! Take it! I need food!" I shouted, standing up and running out of the store. I waited in the car for about twenty minutes before she came out holding a huge bag and a box which I'm assuming held a pair of shoes. Dress shopping was done and now, finally, food.

All Rights Reserved

Alright Peaches, let's get down to business. I already have the title and am currently working on the first couple of chapters of the sequel which is being called *drum roll* Holding Our Hearts. It came to me in my sleep like three days ago and I shot out of bed and began writing like I really need to chill. That being said, only two more chapters left till I end the book. Honestly, this book has been my biggest outlet for the past what? Three years? I've grown so much as a writer and I can't wait to make the rest of the series as fulfilling as this has been for you guys. Now my questions are:

Are you excited for the sequel?

Should they find a new love interest?

Should it take place their senior year or while they're in college?

What are you hoping/think will happen in these last two chapters? -Aime