Prologue

Prologue

        "Ahhhh!!!!!!" 

        A high pitched scream filled the silent night, waking up the parents. They quickly rushed to their child's bedroom. "Sweetie, is there something wrong?" There was only the curtain flapping around the open window in the empty room. The moonlight shone on the messy bed with no child to be found.

        "Sweetie, is everything okay?" They carefully walked over to the bed with a worried expression on their face. It was empty. "Oh no! Honey, are you alright? Where are you?" They searched frantically over the room.

        "I'm right here Mother. Father," A girl with light blonde hair appeared in front of the doorway with a hand behind her back. Both of the parents sighed in relief. They rushed to her side. "Oh honey, was that you screaming? Is everything alright?"

        "Everything's fine, Mother, Father." The little 5 year old girl pulled a knife out from behind her. Her lips slowly turning upwards into a grin.

        "For me anyways."

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ∞ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ 

         "Are you sure she's the murderer? She's only 5 years old." The police chief looked at the quiet, captive girl on the other side of the soundproof glass. Her hands were bound by handcuffs and her nightgown specked with dried, red ichor.

        "Yes sir. You know the saying: Looks can be deceiving." The officer looked at the silent girl. She refused to talk during the interrogation. "Suspect was found holding a knife in front of the victims. The girl saw us and attacked one of our men. Injuries are not fatal." He hands overs an evidence bag with the knife covered with blood inside. "This is the weapon of assault. So, what do we do with her?"

        "Hand her over to me." The police chief and officer turned around to see a priest standing in the doorway. "Father Komori! What are you doing here?" 

        "I'm here to take the child. As you know, I have a daughter exactly her age. She can get very lonely when I'm not there, so I believe she would be very happy with a new sister." The police hesitated at first before pressing a button that lowered the screen that separated them and the girl.

        "Hey little girl. This is Father Komori. He's here to take you in." The girl looks up at Seiji with wonder in her eyes. Father Komori started to laugh.

        "Look at her! She's not a murderer, but a curious child!!" The police filed a release form for her and Seiji gave her a simple white dress to change into, and took her home. The dress was a bit too large on her since hem of the dress dragged on the floor every time she walked, making her trip every once in awhile. The cotton sleeves were too long for her arms and too loose around that she to roll it up until it was practically a bundle of cloth halfway up her arm.

 The cotton sleeves were too long for her arms and too loose around that she to roll it up until it was practically a bundle of cloth halfway up her arm

        They arrived at the church an hour or two later. It was secluded with only meadows stretching as far as the eye could see. It was still dark out with only the full moon and the bright stars as the only light source. The girl exits the car and stares at the simple church.

        "Mister, what is this place?"

        "Now, now. Questions will be answered soon. But first, I want you to meet some friends of mine." They walked into the church, past the altar, and down to a hidden room beneath the church.

        "Hey Seiji! Is this our new toy?" A man with a whip asked him. The girl looks up to Seiji with confusion. He had a sinister grin on his face.

        "Listen here. You are going to be staying here for the rest of your life. No light, no friends, just darkness." He pushed the girl to the man with the whip and walks back up the stairs up to the church. On the way up, he says, "You can forget the name your parents gave you. From now on, you're Fuzen Takashi."