Chapter 7

A run over of all the information and rules was given as soon as dinner ended. It was basic stuff for the most part: comply to every order they give or you'd be shot, no being left unattended unless you're in the bathroom, stuff like that.

Vanoss grabbed some keys from the counter. He looked over at you like he was expecting something.

"Do you have the keys to your apartment?" he asked emotionless.

"No. You have to go up to the front desk to get the key, and then when you leave you give the key back to the front desk," you replied.

"That's a strange system, but I guess it eliminates the chances of people losing their keys. Alright, let's go. Tell me the address and we'll head there," Vanoss said while walking to the door. He adjusted his sunglasses and opened the door, leading you out first. He unlocked the car and waited for you to get in before he did.

The engine came to life, and Vanoss sped out of the driveway. You gave him the name of the apartment complex along with the address, and he continued to speed down the road.

The building came into view, and with Vanoss driving like a maniac, you both arrived there quickly. He took the key out of the ignition and got out of the car. You followed suit and walked over to him.

You looked down at your clothes after thinking about your ruined shirt. The tank top that was once dark gray had splotches of blood all over it along with the dark blue shorts. It looked like it was done on purpose so it didn't bug you. Either way, if someone was able to tell it's blood, then you'd have a chance to get help.

"Try anything funny and everyone within half a mile radius gets slaughtered. I am armed, so behave. Understand?" he leaned in close and whispered in your ear. A shiver ran down your spine as he whispered. His breath grazed your ear.

"Y-yes," was all you could manage while still feeling flustered. He waved his hand to let you walk on front of him.

You opened the large glass door and Vanoss followed behind. The room had white marble flooring along with white and gold furniture.

You walked up to the desk in the middle of the lobby. The man behind the desk was the same guy who worked here the day you moved in. He was a friendly old man who wore thick glasses and had a kind smile. His hair was thin and gray and he was slightly overweight.

"Hello Mr. Harrison, how are you?" he had been looking down at a newspaper until you spoke. He looked up, his blue eyes sparkling.

"(Y/n)! I haven't seen you for two days," he exclaimed.

"Yeah, I was with him," you pointed your thumb behind you at Vanoss.

"Oh? I had no idea you had a boyfriend," he responded in a surprised tone. His answer took you back a bit, but Vanoss then stepped in.

"Yeah, I couldn't be luckier," he smiled kindly to the old man and put his arm around your waist. It struck you he was faking it to look natural, and you tried your best to keep a smile.

"Anyways, I need to get into my apartment," you said, trying to change the subject.

"Here's the key," Mr. Harrison handed the key, "By the way, what's your name sir?"

"... Evan," he hesitated before speaking. It dawned that you had never heard his real name.

"It was a pleasure to meet you Evan. Treat (y/n) well, okay?" he flashed a smile as the two of you started over to the elevators.

You pressed the up arrow and awaited the arrival of an elevator in silence. He was still close to you and had his arm around your waist, and you could tell he was getting uncomfortable.

A ding echoed through the hall as one of the elevators opened. You both walked in, and you pressed the 9 button. The doors closed, and Vanoss released his hand and let out a sigh.

"Hey," you mumbled.

"What," he huffed.

"Is Evan really your name?"

"Yeah. Why do you care?"

"I don't. I was just curious."

The rest of the ride was complete silence. It was only a few more seconds, though, since elevators are pretty fast. The doors opened, and you were met with the familiar hall that lead to your apartment.

Vanoss, or Evan, followed behind as you went over to apartment 531. You went up to the door, and heard the door to the right open. Your neighbor, who had become a friend of yours, came out with some boxes in her hands.

Her name was Amber James. Amber was tall, taller than you. She had short blonde hair that barely touched her shoulders. She was a pretty skinny girl, since she constantly worked out. Her apartment had some high-tech workout equipment, which she had offered to let you use  whenever you wanted to.

"Oh my god (y/n)! I noticed you haven't been home for the past two days. I had some pizza the other night, and I had bought too much. So I went to offer some but you never answered the door," she put the boxes down to give you a big hug.

"Yeah, sorry Amber. I was with my boyfriend," you had to force the words out while sounding as normal as possible.

"It's about damn time you met a guy," she put her hands on her hips and smiled.

"So, this is Evan. Evan, this is my neighbor and friend Amber."

"Nice to meet you Evan," she waved, "Now if you'll both excuse me, I have some boxes to take to the elevators."

"I can help you," Evan walked forward and picked up the boxes.

"Thank you!" she said while flashing a face of approval. Amber lead Evan down the hall back to the elevators. A smile spread across your face at the sight. He was trying to hard to act normal that his whole persona seemed genuine. He turned into a different person, though it was fake, it was refreshing to have him be friendly for a change.

When he came back, Amber said another thank you and went back into her apartment. You unlocked the door to your apartment and entered, Evan coming in behind.

It seemed like a year since last being here. The apartment was right as it was the other day when you went to the bank, except for the potted plants that had started to wilt.

Vanoss didn't hesitate to make himself at home. He went over to the large white couch and fell back onto it, his body sprawled across the couch. He crossed his legs and rested his hands behind his head.

"Hurry up and pack your clothes, I don't want to be out any longer than we have to," he muttered.

Once the clothes were stuffed into a nearby suitcase, you came back into the living room. Vanoss was waiting, standing by the couch with his arms crossed and a cocky smile.

"What's with the face," you harshly remarked.

"Just thinking of your nice neighbor," his smile grew bigger.

"And?" you replied, waiting for him to ask for her number or something.

"Oh nothing. It's just that I figured you had no friends. You're not exactly friendly, and you're mentally unstable."

"It's not like I want to be nice to the people who kidnapped me, and stay out of my business." Vanoss put his hands up to let you know to stop.

"Whatever. Let's just go back home."

You nodded, agreeing with him for once.