Chapter 22

All you could see was black. Every noise around you echoed, almost as if you were stuck in a dream. You were able to feel yourself slowly gain consciousness.

You forced your eyelids open, replacing the darkness with bright light. Once your eyes adjusted, you looked around and found yourself in a hospital room alone. Your arm had an IV tube in it, and the monitor made steady beeping noises every time your heart would beat.

"Where's Evan?" your voice trailed off, echoing in the empty room. You felt your heart sink at the feeling of loneliness. Why wouldn't he stay?

The door began to creak, opening slowly. Your looked over, excited to see who it was. The door fully swung open to reveal a nurse with short blonde hair and light blue scrubs. She smiled politely at you, and you tried to mask the fact you were disappointed. Your heart sank once more.

"You've awaken earlier than we previously predicted," the nurse giggled a bit as she walked over to the bed carrying a tray with her.

"W-what?" You asked confused. The last thing you remember was getting shot and passing out while Vanoss was carrying you. How long ago was that?

"You went into a coma and the doctor said he thought you wouldn't wake up until a couple of days. But you were only unconscious for about 15 hours, give or take," she spoke as she set the tray down on the table beside you, revealing pancakes and eggs with yogurt and milk.

You turned to the alarm clock on the table and the time was 10:37. It was obviously morning, since she brought you pancakes for food. You slowly began to relax, grasping your current situation a little better.

"I'm just going to make sure all of the equipment is working okay and replace a few things and I'll be done," the nurse smiled again and went to check all of the monitors and machines behind your bed.

"Good news: now that you're awake, you should only be here for another day just to make sure you recover smoothly," she was almost done checking everything out. While she was busy, you decided to eat the breakfast. You chewed your food silently while the nurse finished looking at the machinery.

She silently waved as she exited the room, leaving you to be lonely once more. You continued to eat, trying to get your mind off of the solitariness.

Once you ate the rest of the food, you laid back in the hospital bed. You turned to face the window, staring out at the large city busy with people.

You could hear the door open again, and you figured it was the nurse again. You continued to look out at the busy streets.

"(Y/n)?" You paused. It was the person you wanted to see all this time. You turned to look at Vanoss, his expression full of glee.

"Evan!" you excitedly exclaimed. He ran by your side and brought you into a warm hug. You could hear him sobbing, and you teared up as well.

"I'm so happy you're finally awake," he whispered into your ear.

"I don't think I'm cut out for gang life," you mumbled, receiving a chuckle from Vanoss.

"It's okay, I don't want you to go back out there with us anyways. I can't watch you get hurt again," his grip on you got tighter as he spoke. You buried your face into his chest, glad to feel his warmth again.

"Were you here all night?" you asked curiously.

"I haven't left the hospital since we brought you here. I just went down to the cafeteria to eat."

"I woke up and didn't see you, so I got a bit depressed. But I'm glad now to know you stayed here all night."

"The room felt empty while you were unconscious."

"I felt empty when you weren't here."

He smiled at your remark, releasing you from the hug. He put his hand up to your cheek and brought his face close to yours. He connected his lips with yours. He rested his forehead against yours when he released his lips from yours.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," you whispered in reply.