Chapter 21

"Dammit," Vanoss muttered as he took his owl mask off, tears streaming down his face.

"We need to bail now!" Wildcat yelled with urgency as he ran to one of the trucks. Vanoss continued to hold you gingerly, crying as he stared at your lifeless form.

"Bring her to the truck and we'll drive her over to the hospital," Moo yelled at Vanoss. He ran, desperate to get there as quick as he could.

"You guys continue home. If we stick together it'll be suspicious," Moo told Mini as they prepared to drive away. Mini nodded and started down the long way home, meanwhile Moo quickly drove towards the hospital. Vanoss sat with you on his lap. He had his arms around you, crying with his face buried in your arm.

"Did you check for a pulse?" Basically asked. Vanoss sat up and reached for your wrist, checking to see if he could feel a heartbeat.

"She's alive..." he happily mumbled, "Hurry, please!"

Moo drove faster down the road towards the city. They arrived soon after and they all scrambled out of the truck. By now they had taken their masks off, so they didn't seem too conspicuous.

Vanoss carried you in, carrying you bridal style. Lui opened the door for him and Vanoss ran up to the front counter. The lady behind it was watching the whole commotion as they had walked in.

"She was shot, please we need help," Vanoss said to the lady.

"What's her full name? " the lady asked as she typed on the computer sitting in front of her.

"(f/n) (l/n)," Vanoss replied.

"How old is she?" the lady continued to type away.

"(y/age)," Vanoss started to become impatient as he stood there answering questions.

Can't this wait?! Clearly she needs help.

Finally, after answering a couple questions, the lady put her into a room. Vanoss and the others weren't allowed to enter until they did a couple of tests. They had to locate the bullet and see if it was near any vital organs before they scheduled any surgery, if needed.

A little nurse with short blonde hair and glasses left your room and walked to where Lui, Basically, Delirious, Moo, and Vanoss were waiting impatiently. Vanoss had stood up from where he was sitting as soon as he saw the nurse.

"Is she okay?" Vanoss asked in a worried tone.

"We located the bullet. It's not deep enough that she'll need any large surgery, but we need to go in and extract it. Also, she went into a shock coma, and we aren't sure if she will wake up today, tomorrow, or even in a week,"

Vanoss let out a shaken sigh, hearing the news. It wasn't all good, but he was relieved you should be okay.

"The doctor is coming now to get the bullet out. It may take half an hour or more, but feel free to stay here and wait until she's done," the nurse began to walk away.

The sun had begun to set at this point, and most of the guys were completely exhausted. Lui stood up from the leather chair and walked toward Vanoss, who was still standing.

"Hey, I'm tired. I'm heading home. Tell her I said hi and give her a hug for me," Lui put his hand on his shoulder and started over to the elevators.

"Me too, actually," Basically also stood up, "Give her a hug for me too."

Moo and Delirious stood up and began to walk out as well. They also told Vanoss to give you hugs for them, and Vanoss agreed. As Moo started to walk away, he noticed Vanoss was staring at your door absentmindedly. He walked over to Vanoss and put his hand on his shoulder.

"She's gonna be okay, Evan," Moo whispered reassuringly. Vanoss couldn't muster a reply, so he just nodded. Moo walked away, leaving Vanoss alone.

After an hour of pacing back and forth and staring at your door, the doctor exited holding a clipboard.

"She's done, but hasn't awaken yet. If you wish, you can stay overnight with her," the doctor said as he looked up from the clipboard.

"Thank you doctor," Vanoss weakly spoke as he walked forward to go in.

He slowly opened the door, fearful to see what had become of you. He walked in and saw you laying in bed, looking feeble and very pale. You looked weak, and he couldn't help but let out a little whimper at the sight.

He walked to the right side of the hospital bed. He gingerly took your hand in his, discovering your skin was ice cold.

"Please," his voice shook in fear, "It can't end this way. I never intended to fall for you but I did, and I don't have any regrets. I need you to wake up. You have to wake up..."

He trailed off, his own sorrow cutting his words off. He had trouble speaking, trying to fight the misery building up.

He couldn't do anything but stare at your pale face. He put his hand on your cheek, feeling how cold your face was as well. He then sat back in the little leather couch against the wall, unsure of how to react except with grief.

The ringing of his cellphone suddenly echoed in the silent room. He took his phone out of his pocket and saw Lui's name on the screen. He pressed the talk button and put the phone up to his ear.

"...Yeah?" Vanoss said.

"Hey, are you staying with (y/n) tonight?" Lui asked.

"Yeah," Vanoss gave a halfhearted reply.

"Okay. Wildcat wanted to know but was too lazy to call and ask," Wildcat could be heard yelling at him when he said that.

"Good luck," Lui spoke softly before hanging up.

Vanoss laid down on the couch, ready to sleep. Before he went to sleep, he looked over at you once more. He turned, finding it hard to look at you when you looked so feeble and helpless.

"Night," he whispered in desolation to your nearly-lifeless body.