Chapter 24

The Traveler's Gift laid in my hands as I walked the park at night. It was very uncommon for me to walk alone but I knew Joker was around somewhere. It's been a year and eight months since I've been with Joker. A year and eight months ago, I was taken when stalking a man I both feared and was fascinated by. The book I held in my hand was beautiful. It sent out a lot of life lessons. While walking, a person bumped into me, making me drop my book. Annoyed but thinking about it as an accident, I smiled at the person who picked my book up. "Thanks." He bit his lip a little and checked me out.

    "Listen, you must not know who I am because you're testing my nerves." I watched as he walked around me and then slapped my ass. "It's okay baby. I know you're hot as fuck and how about you let me get to know you." This perv. My fist went straight to his face and then I noticed Joker was coming over. The guy got up and before he could do anything else towards me, Joker put his cane on his chest. The mans eyes grew wide.

    "And who do you think you are?" Jokers voice was intimidating and the man gulped. "You're... You're the Joker." Joker swung his cane at the man as if it were a baseball bat and the man started to cry, begging for his life. "That I am. And that lady over there." Joker pointed at me. "That is mine. You don't get to touch what's mine. I'm letting you live but don't take in these words thoughtlessly for you live to remember what belongs to me." The man nodded and ran off.

        Joker turned to me and looked at my now dirty and messed up book. "I'm sorry about your book, doll." The pout on my face was evident and I sulked as we went back home.

        "Joker?" My voice called out to him as I started taking off my ear rings and necklaces. "Do you think I'm crazy?" It was a legit question. I wanted to know what he thought of me. From the bed, Joker spoke up. "I think you're scary. Maya, you're not crazy to me. You may have done some bad things but that doesn't make you crazy in my eyes." I jumped onto the bed and turned the lights off. "Well... then what do you think crazy is?" My mouth opened wide as I yawned and closed my eyes. "Harley Quinn." We both chuckled and fell asleep. No one really talks about her around here.

        When we woke up, I heard a ding from my computer. Joker stayed in bed but asked me what it was. Not knowing, I opened and looked at the dot for the tracker in Batman/Bruce. "Okay so he seems to be in Lex Luther's building? Been there for over an hour." We were both confused because there shouldn't be any business going on between them at the moment.

        I told the Joker that I would keep an eye on it and watch closely to the news about anything regarding Lex and Bruce. According to Natalia, Lex hates Bruce. Maybe this wasn't an invitation and more of an unwanted visit. Whatever it was, it made my stomach feel funny. Knowing Batman wasn't on the streets today did make me a little happy. This would mean even more fun could happen because we didn't have to care about cops. It's a a lot easier getting away from them when Batman isn't helping them.

        Joker heard buzzing from his phone and picked it up. The number came up as unknown and he spoke very carefully.

        "Who is this and what is your business speaking to me?" The person on the other line was speaking and I noticed the concerned look on Jokers face as he rubbed his forehead. "Okay so what do we do?" I grew impatient and tapped his shoulder. He ignored me and then ended the call a few moments later.

        "What was that all about?" I asked as I sat in criss cross formation. "Well, the man Snipe that we saved, just was found dead. He was helping me get chemicals." I looked at him and waited for him to continue. "Well, whoever killed him said that they would kill anyone and everyone I have ever known and then save me for last. The person on the phone said that it's pretty serious and to stay indoors for a while." My heart skipped a beat as I feared for the goons and myself. They've really grown on me and it'd be a shame if they were killed.

        "Why is this person taking it so seriously?" I asked. Joker looked at me and sighed. He really hated when people asked so many questions.

        "Well, I think he's Scarecrow. The chemicals I stole from him were being used to make a fear gas. This has ruined a lot of people plans and I needed them to try to recreate the gas and make it even better." So basically, Joker ruined a bad guys lifetime worth of work because he wanted to one up him.

        "Just give him the chemicals back so he doesn't kill anyone." Joker started getting angry and got out on the bed.

        "That's what you're not understanding. Everyone has a weak spot and I have found his. I want to use it against him. I guess just.... make him taste a bit of his own medicine." I began to wonder if it had been used on Joker. A man this insane must have  some pretty crazy and scary fears. I got up and hugged him. He hugged me back and then groaned out in defeat.

       "Until our people outside can find a way for us to get to him first, we have to stop every single plan we have going on. You can do your fun ol' research on Batsy but there's nothing we can actually do!" The thought of having to take a knee really hit Joker hard. He's just not the type of guy to watch as everyone else gets to have fun. Most importantly, he's not the type of guy to have his plans ruined.

        "Joker, I'm going to leave you be for a little bit okay? Take a breather or something." The last thing I wanted was to get hit, or worse, by him. He can do some pretty bad things while he's angry and I didn't want to be the only thing he could take it out on.

        This is for the best. I know I should be there for him but I was pretty angry and scared at the moment. My plans were ruined too. There were things that I have to do in order to even begin the plans that we have made and now, I'll be halted and Joker will find some way to blame it on me. Not only that, but my life was in danger. Personally, I don't know scarecrow. I know he's a brilliant man and can find out anyone Joker likes and will definitely use the one person he loves against him.

        What am I going to do?

---------------------------------------------
Woah that's crazy.
Thank you for the comments and votes y'all. I couldn't ask for a better set of readers.
Je T'aime.