Chapter 28

Today I was going to see the new condo that Joker had bought us. The girls sat in the back of the car so they can be there as a house warming party thing. The henchmen would be there as well and it's sad to say that I haven't seen them since the day I was attacked, four days ago. It seems as if it happened last night. I know it didn't but every night when I sleep, it all replays in my nightmares. Joker had said that we would go a little ways outside of Gotham City for me so I didn't have to be as paranoid. The place we would be living for no on was called Central City and Joker planned to dominate that.

The car stopped and took my out of my thoughts. The condo was high up and I took notice to the stairs outside of the building as the only way we would get into it unnoticed. We all stood in awe at the new place. There were three floors and one went outside to a patio. The other was was nothing but outdoors and I fell in love with it. To be quiet frank, I liked this better than the overused mansion-like house we had before.

    Joker took my hand as we all walked up the stairs then he presented a key to which I unlocked the door. The house smelled manly yet refreshing. Soon, it would smell like gunpowder and a sweet smell that Joker somehow possessed no matter what. Sometimes I feel like he washes his hair with gun powder but I laugh at the thought, knowing he doesn't.

    "Mistah J.... I've got to admit that you did good on this condo." Harley walked around the rounded couch and took in the sight of my new home. Next, Pamela opened a bottle of champagne and wiggled her eyebrows. We all smiled to her and Joker walked over to get some glasses.

    "Ah... What house warming party full of criminals doesn't have alcohol of some sort?" All of us laughed and I took a glass, gulping down the drink and getting another. Everyone looked at me and Joker leaned down to my ear. "Don't get too drunk, my Maya." I nodded and slowly sipped the next glass as we all sat on the couches that now faced each other. There wasn't a television down here so it looked more like a room when we have people over.

    "So, are you two actually dating or what?" My head shot to Joker, not knowing how to answer Selina's question. His leg crossed over the other and sighed. "We aren't dating." The answer seemed sorrowful and a pinch of pain went through my chest. Of course I knew we weren't dating but it was always a beautiful thought in the back of my mind. My eyes stayed looking out the window, not caring about their conversation. There was a lot of the see through panels and I began to wonder if we would be found here. I didn't need to be put away in some crazy people facility or even killed because you could look straight through our windows and see that it is indeed Joker and Maya Smith. Us, the King and Queen of Gotham City, the two who both seemed to send a light to the others darkness, and the lovers of crime and craze. This was us. That's why so many people were after us. No one was ahead of us and no one was as bad as us.

    "I think this party is over. We thank everyone for coming." Jokers voice was stiff and dark. Anyone could tell there was an frustration deep in his throat and my eyes scanned his face in worry of what he was going to do. The girls left and two henchmen were sent to each floor for protection. When we were decently alone, Joker looked at me, begging with his eyes to trust him and to know that I will be okay. Though I wanted to believe him, I didn't know if I could.

    "Maya, what is going on in that head of yours?" His arms spread wide and I walked into them as he held me tightly. Tears were streaming down my face and my sobs were uncontrollable. My voice hasn't stopped being hoarse and every time I cried, my eyes burned more than normal. Against my body, I had felt Joker shaking. I tilted my head up to him and with a weak and trembling voiced, I asked him what was wrong.

    The answer he had for me must have been too deep in his heart for he hesitated, bringing me up the stairs and into our room for privacy. He had sat down on the bed and paced around the room slowly, his hands cupping his face and running through his hair periodically. "You kept screaming, Maya. I couldn't do anything but call for help. I've never felt so disabled in my whole life. I'm the fucking Joker and I couldn't get to you!" His voice grew louder and then instantly regretted it as I flinched. His chest was raising and falling in a fast and furious motion that made me concerned. "I don't feel like I can protect you anymore." The words escaped his lips and he punched the wall over and over and over again. The crazy man was going insane, more than usual, as he had let his emotions be contained for my sake.

     Though I was scared, I knew he needed help. There was an internal battle going on in his mind and it was my fault.

    "Joker, this isn't your fault. There was nothing you could've done." Nothing was making him stop punching the wall and soon, there would be a hole. Finally, I gave in and went under his arms and he stopped before he could hit me. Fear and pure anger was pulsing through his eyes as his mouth stayed open and he breathes went out heavily. That's when he collapsed and held on to my legs.

      The Joker had gone completely submissive and let every guard he had slowly fall down all because I almost died. This was killing us and there was nothing that I could do to stop it. My hands held his head to my stomach and soothed his angered state before he did something he would regret. "Joker, please know that I will continue to love you even if I am gone. Nothing will fill the spot in my heart that I have for you." I've made my decision.

      He got up and brushed himself off. Suddenly, his lips crashed into mine and his hands cupped my face. There was nothing passionate about it from us. This was to cool down and have what we craved. It was hungry and full of heat and desire. We finally would do what we needed and that was each other.