04 | a master plan

Your compassion for others makes you vulnerable, but it also makes you strong.

"RIA, I'M SO GLAD you came

"RIA, I'M SO GLAD you came." Dr. Klementine greets her with those perfect teeth placed behind full lips on a strikingly symmetrical brown face.

A poster therapist.

Every time Ria sees the woman, that's exactly how she views her. A perfectionist who mocks the chaos of her life.

It reflects in every element of her pristine office. A sophisticated square where everything is lined to perfection. From her doctorate certificate hanging on the far white wall to the glass vase placed in the center of a decorative table that stands directly before a glossed window. They reside in a perfect room to hold imperfect people.

Ria sinks into the cushions of her sofa and rubs her folded arms. "You told my friend that you haven't seen me and they got really upset. So..."

"Well, I was concerned about you. It's never a good sign when a patient with your complications disappears."

My complications.

Ria resists the urge to roll her eyes and scoff at the woman. What's so hard about saying bipolar? Why do people like to dance around the subject like it's a ticking time bomb? It should be clear as ever that she is fine. She's not crazy. She's not going to lose her mind. She's in control of herself.

"I don't think I need therapy anymore," she grumbles instead. "And I don't need medication. I've gone without it for most of my adult years and I'm fine."

Klementine gives her that annoying empathetic smile. The same smile her friends give her that cries 'You have no idea what you're talking about.'

"Ria, have you ever experienced a manic episode?"

She swallows the begrudging yes on her tongue and drags her eyes to the side. Dr. Klementine is well aware of the answer. She's heard the stories about the episodes Ria had when she was younger. But those days were back when she wasn't in control. When she had no idea about her disorder.

Now that she knows, she can control them and stop them.

"How often do you have depressive episodes?"

Far too many for my liking.

"If your answer is yes or more than one, then you need medication and these sessions could really help you if you let me in."