39 | out of the dream and into the nightmare

I promise. We're all going to get out of this.

"IT'S OFFICIAL!" Ria throws her arms around Ashton's neck, leaning into his back as he finishes signing off the paperwork scattered across the dining table

"IT'S OFFICIAL!" Ria throws her arms around Ashton's neck, leaning into his back as he finishes signing off the paperwork scattered across the dining table. "You're a DeVoure," she whispers in his ear. "How does it feel?"

"It feels amazing," he says with utter relief. Folding up the legal documents along with a copy of their marriage licenses seals the deal on his new last name. "I got rid of that godforsaken middle name and I no longer have a connection to my mother's affair."

"Yep!" She kisses his ear. "Also, you're a DeVoure now," she sings.

He chuckles and rubs her fidgeting hands. "And I'm a DeVoure now."

"I was thinking we could celebrate with a little red wine..." she drags softly and teases her hands down his chest. "Maybe go explore the city a bit." She nibbles on his earlobe and walks her fingers down his abdomen. "Come back and make passionate love."

A shiver courses through Ashton's muscles and he relaxes under her touch. "I can't believe you think I'm the seductive one in this relationship."

"You are! You always initiate the sex."

"Kissing you is not initiating sex." He turns around on the swiveling stool to face her while she keeps her arms draped over him. "Kissing you is just a show of affection. You're always the one taking my damn pants off."

She bites her lip and drags her eyes away from his. "Maybe sometimes..."

"Exactly." He pecks her lips then quickly recoils. "Don't get all frisky on me now."

"Shut up!" Ria giggles and steps back. She leans back and forth on the balls of her feet and holds her hands behind her. He's instantly certain that she's never been so cute doing absolutely nothing. "So, I've been thinking about the baby names you gave me."

"Oh?" He arches a brow and the corner of his mouth twitches. "And?"

"For a boy, I really like; Elio, Ashton, Elias or Matteo. For girls; Astrid, Isabella, Elisa or Alessia."

Triumph engulfs him and he's suddenly beaming and grabbing her wrists to pull her closer. "Those were some of my favorites."

Rose-colored hues paint her soft cheeks and she flashes her teeth in a brilliant smile. "That's great! I also think we should have all the colors for their clothes and toys; no matter if it's a girl or a boy."

"I'm fine with that."

His easy agreement only seems to encourage her. Stars fill her eyes, lighting her gaze one by one. "And-and I want to paint their room," she speaks breathlessly and grasps his wrists. "I thought we could have fun with that, you know? We can paint the-the stars on the ceiling and the ocean on the ground and everything in between."