31 | how to say goodbye

The love you have for people is so strong it becomes unhealthy.

"I'M SO SORRY," Jaden's apology touches the air behind Daniel's hunched shoulders for possibly the hundredth time

"I'M SO SORRY," Jaden's apology touches the air behind Daniel's hunched shoulders for possibly the hundredth time. His apology, a sign of failure and the last of Daniel's lingering in New York.

"I keep telling you, stop apologizing. I should have left. I shouldn't have relied on your aunt. This was obviously too good of a break to be true."

Zip! He yanks his bag shut and tosses the pack over his shoulder. Slender arms slip around his abdomen as he turns around. Jaden buries his face against Daniel's chest. The erratic beating of his heart caressed Jaden's dark curls.

"Are you sure you have no evidence to put against him? Nothing left over from his past crimes?"

Daniel's chest tightens with irritation, but he runs his fingers through Jaden's hair simply because he knows he likes it. "No. I don't keep track of his crimes. I'm not a part of them." He drives Jaden's head back, fingers deep in his curls and peels away from the somber embrace. "Now I need to go."

"Please take me with you!" Jaden's hands are on his wrists.

One snatch and Daniel frees himself. He shoves past him and exits his bedroom. "I'm not going to get you involved, and you'd only take up space. Situations like these need very few people involved." He stalks down the hall, ignoring Jaden's constant affectionate touches.

He is persistent, so persistent, it rivals on being idiotic. "What are you planning to do? I can help." Jaden trails after him down the hall and scampers in front of him again when they're in the open space of entryway.

"Find Vivian. Figure out whether I should negotiate for her life or hide her."

The pad of Jaden's fingers digs into Daniel's wrist. "I-if you hide her...I know a place." Desperation bleeds into his umber irises. "I have an old high school buddy, E-Elliot, he's got a cabin where we can hide them."

Daniel's boots scrape to a stop and he pinches the space between his brows. "I can't involve more people, Jaden. Stop thinking so recklessly. I shouldn't have told you a thing, but you somehow got involved."

"So keep me involved! I want to go with you."

"You'd be a waste of space. Do you realize this? It's much easier to hide with fewer people. You shouldn't need to go into hiding. This is only until I can figure out a better plan so sit tight."

He grabs the sides of Jaden's face, bronze skin lined with flustered elements. "Think logically for a moment. I need you to stay here and tell my friends...if they come by. Right now, they hate me and don't know what's going on."

"Ugh." Jaden pouts, his tempting full bottom lip poking out. Daniel leans down and kisses his lips, carving the memory of their touch and taste - like strawberry bubble gum - between his own.