06 | the oblivious heart

I know it's dangerous, but being so empty is unbearable.

OCEAN SKIES peer at Ashton as he drifts along the tides

OCEAN SKIES peer at Ashton as he drifts along the tides. The sun has baked his skin for the past hour as he escapes the tribulations of life.

Life.

What is the purpose of his life?

Why does he exist in this world?

Questions he asks himself every day. Questions that are supposed to be the step towards valuing himself enough to make him thrive for a healthy life. A reason besides Ria and Vivian. A reason that is himself.

What makes him want to live?

Throughout his life, the only consistency he's ever had is Daniel and Dea's friendship. He values their company, so maybe they can be a reason for him to live. Perhaps finding more people and creating new friendships can guide him through life.

He immediately disregards the thought. Despite his compassion for his friends, even they weren't enough to stop him from doing drugs or trying to end his life years ago. The only thing that's kept him going is the one thing he's never truly had.

Love.

The idea is ridiculous enough to make him laugh. Ashton covers his eyes with his forearm and huffs. "How cliché am I?" Love? Who would want to live for such a ludicrous concept? Love has brought him nothing but pain.

Alternately, the pain of love has been the thing keeping Vivian alive along with the hope for freedom in her future.

Ashton scowls and uncovers his face. His gaze finds the ever blue sky again as he ponders over this.

Love pushed Vivian to live. Freedom pushes her to keep going. To relinquish herself from the agony of addiction and slavery.

Freedom...

"I can give her freedom." He laughs and extends himself to release his pain in the gentle waves that caress his frame. "My purpose is to fulfill her purpose." To free themselves of her brother's torment and live without fear.

That will be his reason for living; his reason to fight his relapse.

A smile, one so hopeful and optimistic, brushes across his whispering lips. "So, I need a plan."

A plan to end their suffering once and for all. The death of Vincent Menshikov.

 The death of Vincent Menshikov