30 | a true monster

You've used me for the last time.

"YOU CAN'T EVEN TAKE CARE OF HER," his bitter tone snaps through the air

"YOU CAN'T EVEN TAKE CARE OF HER," his bitter tone snaps through the air. "Look at her. How long has it been? She's so stressed she's literally fainting."

Ria's insides shrivel at the hate in Chris' voice; a rancorous reminder of every negative encounter they've had.

"You really don't want to upset me right now," Ashton grumbles. He finds himself in a vigorous pace behind Ria as she sinks into the cushions of Chris' sofa.

Tension from their argument still radiates from his aura and bleeds into her exhaustion. His rage burns the atmosphere at unbearable heights. Rage for what Vincent has done. Rage for having to see Chris again. Rage for the choice Ria has made.

Chris presses his fingers into his eyes and shakes his head. "I don't know why she picked you or this life. I don't know why she wants to have your fucking baby, but you're going to get her killed before it can."

"I'm not going to let her die," Ashton snaps.

Ria rubs her eyes. "I'm literally sitting right here," she croaks. "Neither of you are making me feel any better."

Chris glares at her from his seat across the living room and leans heavily on his knees. His jaw is lined with a faint stubble that makes him appear older than twenty-five. His eyes, so hateful and unkind, pierce into hers with disappointment, blame.

Ashton is suddenly by her side, grabbing her wrists and examining her face. "How are you feeling? Do you need water? I'm sorry I stressed you out."

"It's fine." Ria wriggles out of his grasp and scoots away, ignoring the shift of pain across the plains of his once furious expression.

"So Ashton knows about how you purposely got pregnant so you could have a kid that would kill you," Chris says snidely.

The lines of Ashton's face lowers into a scowl. "Purposely?"

"Chris," Ria hisses.

Her existence no longer seems to exist as he ignores her and cocks his head to the side. "She's been taking pills to increase her chances of pregnancy."

"I don't understand this." Ashton turns to her, disbelief weakening his voice and slumping his posture. "If you knew the risks, why would you try to get pregnant?"

"You wouldn't understand," she whispers.

"Then try and help me understand, Ria. This is your life we're talking about. I refuse to lose you to something we can do another way."

"Ashton, you have a long criminal history. You're connected to a violent world that is adamant on bringing you down. We don't have stable jobs or a stable home. We both suffer from mental illnesses. You can't possibly," she stresses, "think we could successfully go through any another process. And I don't want another woman carrying your child for me. Especially if they can decide to keep it."