25 | something to live for

Without her, I would have nothing to fight for.

TIME DOESN'T SEEM to pass

TIME DOESN'T SEEM to pass. One moment, Ria is reaching out for Ashton. The next, he is running his fingers through her hair, staring down at her with worry veiled across his ocean eyes.

"Hey," he speaks gently when he notices her lashes flutter. "How are you feeling? Are you okay?"

Her head rests on his lap. She shifts around, realizing she's lying on a sofa in the living room. Ashton places a cool hand against her forehead while running his finger down the curve of her jaw.

"I-I think so." Blinking slowly, she tries to asses her condition, feeling nothing out of the ordinary. "I don't know why I passed out. I just felt...weak all of a sudden." She holds her stomach subconsciously.

"Should I call an ambulance? Are you dehydrated? Did you eat all of your breakfast this morning? Do you need water?" Ashton lifts his attention to Daniel who hovers over them next to the sofa. "Go get her some water."

Daniel narrows his eyes but obeys in silence.

Ria attempts to sit up but Ashton shakes his head and urges her to lie back down. "You just passed out, Ria. I'm not about to let you get up."

"I'm sure I'm fine," she insists. "I just felt faint."

"That's not something that just happens to people without a reason." Concern etches itself across his face, pulling down his handsome features. He speaks with enough emotion to bloom warmth within her.

"I know some reasons why a woman might faint," Daniel announces almost accusingly as he returns with a glass of water.

"I didn't ask you a damn thing," Ashton chides and snatches the glass, nearly spilling the contents.

Ria sits up slightly and slips it from his fingers. She tips the edge to her lips, letting the cool liquid slide down her parched throat. Waves of relief spread across her being. As she drinks, her gaze slides to Daniel from over the edge of the glass.

His sights are locked on hers knowingly. Despite the cruel things he's done, he doesn't seem to be remorseful for his actions. In some odd way, she thinks Daniel feels justified for the way he's controlled Ashton's life. Those eyes that stare at her so intently, she wonders if he thinks she's in the way as well. Did he plot our downfall? His gaze is so intense her skin begins to itch. She can only fathom what he's thinking and why his eyes bore into hers with such relentlessness.

Then his gaze slides to her hand lying over her stomach.

For a moment, she wonders why. Daniel hasn't been too vocal about the fact that she lost Ashton's child. She hesitates, rethinking the words he just led with. ...reasons why a woman would faint.

Ria nearly drops her glass.

Ashton catches it from her weak fingers and frowns. "Whoa there. Are you sure you're okay? I'm about one second away from taking you to the E.R."