33 | and so they reach the stars

I told you I'd take you to the stars.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE my only child is getting married in Italy and I'm not even invited!" Gianna fakes a sob and sniffles with devastation into the receiver

"I'm sorry, Mama," Ria drags. "It was a split second decision and it's something we really wanted to do as soon as possible."

"I understand, but I'm so sad! You're my baby and you're already starting your life so soon. First, you get engaged and pregnant. Now, you're getting married in Rome? If your father knew, he'd be so angry to know he can't walk his only little girl down the aisle."

Ria's heart sinks and she looks across the airport to where Ashton is talking with Dea and Sophia. "I know. We can still have a ceremony... We just want to do this now. I'm so sorry."

"Oh, don't be. You're young and reckless and impatient. Perhaps the apple does not fall too far from the tree. Your father and I eloped when we were twenty, and back then it had a very different meaning."

Ria rests her chin in the palm of her hand. "Really?"

"Si, tesora. His family thought I was the mattress of Rome. They were awfully stuck up Frenchmen. They believed I let any young or older man lie in my bed...which was true."

"Ma," Ria laughs.

Gianna sighs with light humor in her tone; Ria can only imagine how rosy her cheeks must be reminiscing about her scandalous past. "Well, no use being a liar. I loved men, but I loved Julius even more. When he proposed, I said yes and we got married the next month at a little church. I was pregnant with you at the time and thank goodness we did it so soon! Could you imagine how silly I would have looked in a large dress?"

Ria giggles and touches her stomach, still flat without a hint to give away proof of the life growing inside her. "Well, looks like I'm going down the same path as you. I haven't gotten any bigger yet so I can still fit into a nice dress."

"Oh, you will, honey. Just wait. Your breasts will get huge. Your feet and hands might swell a bit, but the breasts...your father loved it."

"Ew! Ma, stop it." She cringes and quickly disregards the thought. "Tell Papa I love him, okay? Tell him not to get mad and that I love Ashton dearly and we make each other happy."

"Mhm. I'll tell him, tersora. You're lucky you told me while he is conveniently at work. Ah! I wish we could see you. Take plenty of photos, okay? Good luck with Ashton and tell him that he is welcome into the family and he needs to be fluent in Italian within the next year."

Ria chuckles to herself. Unlikely. "Okay, Mama. Ti amo."

"Ti amo, tesora."

Ria hangs up with a smile and holds her hands to her heart. In several hours, her and Ashton are going to be looking into their future. She'll be going back home. They'll be getting married.