40 | welcome to hell

All it took was a little blood.

ONE OF VINCENT'S MEN is waiting outside the loft when they arrive

ONE OF VINCENT'S MEN is waiting outside the loft when they arrive. Ria's hand is slick with sweat, or maybe it's Ashton's. She's squeezing his fingers hard enough to bruise and he squeezes hers right back.

The man he recognizes as Alik, Vincent's messenger and errand runner. The overhead light reflects off the skin of his bald head and the lines of his seasoned face crease when he sees them. "He is waiting." His gruff accent slices the air. One swift move and he's opening the front door.

Ashton glides in with caution and Ria is practically attached to his hip.

There he is. Leaning on the glass doors of the balcony, gazing upon the sights of a California night. A glance to the right shows Daniel sitting statue straight on the sofa, staring at Vincent. No sign of Jared or Vivian.

Vincent turns his head and his eyes meet Ashton's. His blood crystalizes as a devilish smile stretches across the man's lips. "Ashton and Ria, you've finally joined us." He throws his arms out in welcome. "I thought I was going to have to start slitting throats."

Ashton stiffens as he approaches. "Where are they?"

"Is that really how you're going to greet the man who holds the fate of your friend's lives in his hands? You American's are so rude." Vincent runs his fingers through his obsidian hair and raises his chin. "They're downstairs." He waves a dismissive hand to the left of them. "I thought I'd give Jared a break from hearing all of Vivian's greatest stories. She really didn't seem to be taking it well."

"You're a real piece of shit," Ashton growls as his hatred spikes.

Vincent chuckles. "Yes, I've heard it all before. So..." He taps his lips and narrows his icy eyes between them. "Where have you been? You two just disappeared off the face of the earth and left not a single trace behind. I'll admit, Ashton, you are good at running away. Daniel is the only reason I've been able to keep up with you for so long."

"Why the hell should I tell you a thing? We came here to get our friend's back."

Vincent's attention slides to their joined hands and excitement flickers in his gaze. He grins and cocks his head to the side. "You two got married? Well, congratulations." He claps his hands with a laugh that's borderline genuine. "I'm a little offended that I wasn't invited, but I was a little busy putting this together, so I'll forgive you."

"Bring us our friends," Ria snaps. "I'm ready to end this."

"Oh?" His smile broadens and he watches her with a sick infatuation. "Every time I see you, you seem to be that much bolder than before. Your transformation is becoming such a beautiful thing."

"Can you stop rambling for once in your life? Stop wasting our time."

"Ria..." Ashton warns and pulls her closer. As much as he admires her bravery, he knows the smallest thing can make Vincent snap. They need this situation to run as smoothly as possible.