36 | 𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒂 𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒂𝒔𝒚

Let's never leave...

"YOU KNOW, I'm going to have to change my last name to James

"YOU KNOW, I'm going to have to change my last name to James." Ria floats on her back next to Ashton, auburn hair floating in the water around her shoulders like a halo.

Ashton scrunches his nose and his stomach twists at the idea of her taking his father's name. "No. I don't want you to be a James." He sinks lower into the lake until his chin touches the cool water. "I like DeVoure for you and for our little one."

"So we're not going to share names?" She puckers her lips and turns her head slightly enough to look at him. "I liked the idea of sharing names."

"Hmm." Ashton mulls over the possibilities for a moment. He's always hated the elements of his name. Carter was taken from his mother's affair and James from a father who never loved him and is now dead. His name holds no significance to him. He'd hate to have to share it with anyone else. "How about I take your name instead?"

Ria's hazel eyes spring open and she tilts her weight until she's swimming upright. "What?" she exhales.

Ashton strokes a thumb across her cheek. "We're already breaking all of the traditions. What's more untraditional than a man taking a woman's name?"

"But...well...won't that be weird for you?"

"I've always hated my name and what it stands for." He stares at her, suddenly marveled at the way sunlight drips over her being, igniting her hair in flames. "Your name came from a father who loved and raised you. Who loved and appreciated your mother for their entire marriage. Plus, what an easier way to blend in with the country than to take a Frenchman's last name?"

Ria laughs and runs her fingers through his wet hair. "Okay. If you want to, we can do that. You can take my name."

"Ashton DeVoure." He laughs. "That sounds so weird."

"Say it a million times and you'll get used to it." She slings her arms over his shoulders and runs her fingers through his hair, massaging his head. "I can't believe we're married." She smiles dreamily. "You're my husband."

"And you're my wife." He kicks his legs gently under the water and wraps an arm around her waist. "This is real. You're mine and I'm yours."

She rests her head on his shoulder and her soft breathing caresses his collar. "Just think, this winter we'll have a little girl or boy running around with us."

"Yeah." Ashton looks towards the early morning sky. "When we move back, we're going to take every parenthood class and visit every doctor so you and this baby can come out of this healthy and kicking."

"We will." Her voice softens. "I know we will. You're not getting rid of me that easily. We still have a ton of love stories to read together. I actually saw a bookstore not from our hotel. We should stop by before we leave. Maybe I can get you some books about Italian culture and language."