01 | Break Up

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

 01 | Break Up

REMEMBER HOW MASON said that the particular delivery boy would show up every week now?

Well, turned out he was wrong.

The delivery boy never returned to our market. It was just the same old, greasy looking man who would stare at me until he was finished with the delivery. The interaction was just plain creepy.

It was like this for the past month.

I couldn't believe how every Wednesday I would stand outside the market doors, anticipating for the delivery boy to come, and how I'd be able to finally talk to him. Mason was no help. He would always tease me into thinking that he knew what the delivery boy's name was. At first, I actually believed him. He made me do the dishes for nothing.

"Earth to Maisie!"

Glancing up, it was my ever-perky best friend, Vanessa Montgomery.

She angled her curious face as I stared dumbfounded by the cashier. We've been best of friends since the first grade because Vanessa wanted to share her beloved animal crackers with me.

Shaking my previous thoughts away, I smiled softly and said, "Hey, what brings you here?"

Vanessa's voice raised an octave from excitement as she pulled her honey brown hair behind her ear. "Maisie, you have a lot of explaining to do. I was calling you, but no answer! I even had to call Mason..."

Her voice trailed off in my mind as I giggled mentally to myself.

It was four years ago when Mason told me he had legit feelings for Vanessa. I laughed for a good ten minutes until I noticed how serious the kid actually was. It was a little secret I've kept from Vanessa because I knew how embarrassed Mason would get whenever she was around. The good thing was that Vanessa was completely oblivious to all of this.

"Did you hear me?" Vanessa asked, catching my absent-mind again.

I blinked. "What did you say?"

Her cheekbones lifted as she said, "It's me and Jason's three month anniversary today!"

Unlike me, Vanessa was currently with her thirteenth boyfriend. Out of all her boyfriends, not one had officially taken her first kiss.

Impossible, you might say?

When Vanessa was in a relationship, she had strict limits. Knowing guys these days, they broke up with her easily because to them, it wasn't all about holding hands—if you caught my drift. Nothing too extreme, she would tell me. Vanessa mentioned that she would know when the right boy came along to rightfully give her that perfect first kiss.

Jason was her most recent boyfriend. They met when they literally stumbled into each other the time Vanessa and I went to Love Light Café. Call it destiny, but I could rebuttal that. Jason was the type of person who was nice and humble at first, but after a while, he tended to get a little comfortable and evolved into this controlling monster.

I never told Vanessa that though. She was head over heels for him.

I forced a smile. "That's great. Do you two have any plans?"

Vanessa tapped her fingers against the counter and said happily, "Of course! He's taking me to Iridescent."

Of course, the bastard would take her to a fancy restaurant.