28 / Broken Promise

PLEASE NOTE: the symbols "* * * * *" is a transition in flashbacks — it will make sense when you get there. :)

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

28 / Broken Promise

"Ms. Lockhart, how is this?"

"Is this fine with you, Ms. Lockhart?"

"Ms. Lockhart, we need your approval before starting."

For the past three weeks, these were the questions and words I heard every single day. 

I was in charge of the Legends Garden project. Yes, me. Every time I woke up in the morning before heading to the construction sight, I couldn't believe that I was the one people would look up to. To be honest, I was satisfied with what I have — so something like this was hard to get used to.

Did I get use to it yet?

Not so much.

I was still and always going to be Maisie Lockhart.

These three weeks without Bryce was definitely different. I couldn't help but worry about his behalf, but we would keep in touch whenever we could. The only time I saw or heard Bryce would be when there were several news coverage talking about Phoenix Empire's expansion or when Bryce has time to call. 

It was only three weeks, right? Yet, no matter how many times I told myself that, the days would drag and become endless.

I couldn't lie. I missed that delivery boy. His sarcastic humor, his smile, his presence — not having Bryce here felt off.

It had been bittersweet ever since Bryce left. Not only did Bryce leave for his business trip, but things got pretty depressing when Carly and Candace had to go back to their London home last weekend. 

Carly was crying before boarding onto the plane, and I hated to see the little girl like that. Even though I told her that we would see each other soon, she didn't want to go. I didn't want her to leave either. We grew a bond like sisters. Candace, being a renewed person, told me that she would tell her parents what she truly wanted, and I wished her the very best in hopes to see her again as well. I guessed we could all say that everyone was leaving.

And, it became quite empty because of it.

Nonetheless, Logan and David both were helping me whenever they can which I was thankful for. Like I said previously, I have no experience on how to bring my wishing well idea to life. At the same time, I grew closer to them. Overall, it was an interesting experience. Legends Garden looked like a mess right now, but Logan told me in due time, it would look beautiful. 

I did hope he was right.

Throughout these weeks, Logan and I weren't — you could say — awkward anymore. We would eat out together every now and then, and that old friendship was coming back alive once again.

"Maisie, you've been staring at your coffee mug for the longest time now." 

Vanessa's voice caught my absent-mind.

We were both sitting together in Brightside Café by the window — our favorite spot in the café. Glancing back up at her, she was staring at me with widened green eyes, and I laughed at my actions. Or lack of. 

Soon after, she joined my laughter. Vanessa gave me a bright smile and winked.

"You're probably daydreaming about Bryce, huh? Well, say goodbye to those daydreams because in a few hours, he's coming back!"