08 / University Life

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

08 / University Life

I was stuck taking Mason to five university tours on this fine Wednesday. He kept begging me over and over to come with him. Since this had to do with his future and I didn't want to see my little brother ride the bus, I agreed. 

Plus, he was doing the dishes for two whole months. It was a good deal, if you ask me.

"Last one on the list."

Mason's eyes had been scanning the brochure for a good five minutes.

One — and the last — of Mason's choices was the same university Vanessa and the Valentino's were attending. Some part of me was thinking that he just wanted to go there to see Vanessa. But, this school had a very notable music program, if Mason wanted to do something like that.

Come to think of it, it has been three years since I walked foot on educational grounds. I was surprised I didn't get a rash or an allergic reaction of some sort! 

Walking beside my younger brother, I glanced at every direction of the university. The campus was beautiful, remembering the pictures I saw online or the ones Vanessa would take every now and then. Mason nodded his head, taking in the school's old yet charming brick buildings and peaceful landscaping. 

"Pretty cool, don't you think?"

"If that's really the reason why you want to go here," I muttered under my breath, joking.

He caught that but ignored it, "Anyway, I'm going to meet with the tour guide. You should meet with Vanessa."

"You sure you don't want to see her?" I teased.

Not even bothering to reply, Mason walked off as he waved goodbye. Laughing quietly to myself, I soon whipped out my phone to call Vanessa. Fortunately, she has no class at this time.

Vanessa beamed on the other line,"I'm so excited! Go to the Student Center, okay? It won't be hard to find!"

Telling her I would, I hung up and took a deep breath. Really Vanessa? This campus was huge. How was I supposed to find it?

                                                     .        .        .

"I can't believe you're here. You'll love these!" Vanessa chimed and was happily tossing desserts onto a ceramic plate.

The Student Center wasn't so hard to find. In fact, it was its own building. This place was where all the students attending could dine, study, even relax. It was very spacious with four floors. The first floor being the not-so-typical cafeteria, the second and third floor being a casual "talk or study" place, and the fourth designated for quiet and serious studying. 

Instead of going to class, I'd rather be here.

"Van, this is the only college experience I'm missing out on," I praised.

Vanessa giggled as she paid the cashier.

"Typical Maisie."

We both sat down in one of the square, dark wood table and chairs. As I surveyed the open space, there were various seating areas with leather sectionals and the same dark wood coffee tables scattered around. Many students occupied these spaces to relax from their stressful classes or even just to catch up with friends.