22 / Misinterpretations & Appreciations

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

22 / Misinterpretations & Appreciations

Somebody slap me. 

This was all a dream, wasn't it?

As I turned around to follow the sound of Bryce's voice, it was almost as if the life had been sucked out of me. No, Bryce Valentino didn't show up with a banner, heart balloons, or a big teddy bear of love. 

Instead, this was all I needed to see to make tears pour out of my eyes.

Mason.

My younger brother was driving.

After two years from his tragic accident.

The memories of me trying to get my younger brother behind the wheel again flashed before me. My eyes watched in amazement as Mason was driving Bryce's Ferrari.  Bryce was sitting in the passenger seat with the windows rolled down. I noticed the biggest smile on Mason's face as he perfectly drove around the perimeter with concentration and confidence. 

Witnessing everything, happiness was just overwhelming me.

I tried wiping the tears away once Mason parked the car on the curb, and the two got out. Mason tossed the keys to Bryce as he thanked him. I never saw the kid look so comfortable before. Bryce patted Mason's back for a successful test drive and headed their way towards me. Sniffling, I was frozen for a while until I just wanted to run to that — not so little — rascal and start bawling like a proud fan. 

Where was Mom and Pops? They needed — no, scratch that — they had to see this! 

Bryce had his blue eyes on me with a pleasant grin on his face.

Had Bryce been helping Mason this whole time?

Giving Mason a high five, tears streaked down my cheeks as I congratulated, "I thought I was dreaming for a moment. You're driving, Mason! I'm so happy!"

Mason snorted a laugh.

"Obviously, you're crying like a weirdo right now. It's a little embarrassing."

Before I knew it, Mason pulled me into a hug and whispered through the embrace, "I'm sorry for being so stubborn these past two years. You really did help me and Bryce made me realize it."

Mason, being the sweet brother he could be, even wiped a few tears away.

Turned out that Bryce was helping Mason get back on the road ever since he found out the night of Candace's welcoming party. It surprised me because I always thought that it would be impossible. All these questions started to flutter around me, wondering how in the world Bryce was able to do this. 

When I asked, my younger brother simply shrugged and grinned.

"Bryce told me to let go of the past because this is now, and the future is waiting for me. I had to let go of my fears because that's what is drowning me. The motivational speech Bryce said was much more epic, but it was along those lines. Haha! And you know, since he trusted me in the hands of his car, I kind of had to do it."

I joked through a cheesy smile, "So my car just wasn't good enough for you, huh?" 

Mason stuck his tongue out, and we shared a laugh.

When I turned my attention to Bryce, he had such a gentle expression. It was all because of Bryce Valentino. The delivery boy didn't have to do anything for me or give me anything directly to make me feel genuine happiness.