15 / The Belated Birthday Gift

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

15 / The Belated Birthday Gift

Today, Mom and I were taking care of the market. The two of us were occupying the front counter for the most part since it was another one of those slow, unproductive days.

As I was busy cleaning the windows, Mom called to my attention, "Maisie, so Mason told me you're talking with the Valentino's again?"

Laughing, I sprayed some window cleaner onto the glass and rubbed the cloth in a circular motion. 

I replied, "What else does Mason reveal about me?"

Hearing Mom chuckle, I finished cleaning before walking back to her. Placing the cleaner and cloth into the drawer we kept by the front counter, I turned back to face her. 

Nodding my head, I continued, "Yeah Mom, I saw Logan and Bryce a few days ago. Logan's okay, and Bryce is still his usual self."

Mom gave me a tiny smile and tilted her head, asking, "Maisie... do you like Bryce?"

I abruptly shook my head. 

"Don't listen to what Mason says."

"Oh honey, I'm not following Mason's words. I'm asking you."

Pausing for a moment, I blinked away momentarily and reassured her, "I don't know, Mom. He's sarcastic and conceited... but surprisingly kind... and always unpredictable." 

As I was rambling on and on, I noticed a fully sized grin form against Mom's lips and I sighed to stop myself.

Mom replied, "Sweetie, as long as Bryce treats you right and makes you happy... that's all I care about. But, you have to tell me if something is wrong, okay? I know you resisted dating."

She was probably referring to all her failed attempts of hooking me up with the customers here. Still, I felt guilty because I never told anyone besides Vanessa about what Bryce's mother had said to me. I just knew it was unnecessary drama. No one needed that.

As I nodded my head, I quickly changed the subject, "So, Mom, how did you fall in love with Pops?" 

All I really remembered was that Pops and Mom were best friends ever since they were little, but that was really it. Her almond shaped hazel eyes lit up as she smiled warmly, probably recollecting that memory. 

Mom answered, her face was expressing joy, "You know that your father and I were very close friends when we were young. I developed stronger feelings for him during high school, but I always thought we would just stay as friends. What we didn't know was that we were both in love with each other, but chased after the wrong people during that time. In the end, your father was always the love of my life. He was there for me through thick and thin, in light and in dark."

Mom's eyes started to water until she started to giggle like she was reliving her high school self. I gave her a huge smile and hugged her. Best friends who became soul mates. It was truly something we read in those romance books.

"Maisie! Maisie! Oh my god!" A voice came barging into the market.

Our embrace broke off when the two of us found Vanessa rushing in, completely out of breath. Surprised out of my life, this was the first time I had seen Vanessa in this state. Her usual neat honey brown hair was now a mess, probably from running, and her face looked a little creepy — cause she was smiling widely. 

Vanessa exposed her bright, white teeth. That meant something good happened.

Like, very good.