02 | Tears and Rebirth

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

02 | Tears and Rebirth

THIS SURE ADDED the cherry to an ice cream sundae, didn't it?

Vanessa's boyfriend, Jason, did not tell me that he was going to break up with her—my own best friend.

To make matters worse, Vanessa was right here standing before us.

This was definitely something new.

Who in their right mind would tell their girlfriend's best friend to do the break up for him?

From what I saw, Vanessa inhaled deeply to take everything in. She must have heard from the very beginning. My palms started to get all sweaty due to the worry that Vanessa might burst into tears because of this idiot. Speaking of the idiot—I meant Jason—he was completely in shock. He thought he could get away from telling her.

Jason's voice shook as his blue eyes stared at Vanessa. "You... heard?"

Vanessa scoffed from disgust and said, "First, you blow me off. Then when I come to see my best friend, I find you here, telling her that you're breaking up with me?"

The idiot was keeping his voice sweet and gentle, saying how sorry he was for everything. Someone should give this guy the Worst Actor of the Universe award. Despite Vanessa fighting her tears, she pushed him away.

All of a sudden, Vanessa raged, "You're... Ugh! You even tried to tell Maisie to do the break up for you?" She frowned, the green in her eyes deepening. "You're hopeless, Jason. You're nothing but an asshole. I'll be the one to say that we're over. We're over."

The harsh words caused Jason's concerned facial expression to drop into distortion. He kept his chin up high and tried to shrug it off like it didn't matter. Jerk. He didn't even say anything in return as he tried walking out of the market coolly.

"Hey, Jason!" I yelled before he could fully step out of the market.

Jason turned, probably expecting me to say something, but no.

SPLAT!

Two fresh—yet wasted—eggs landed right onto Jason's face. The slimy egg whites and cracked yolk rushed down that cocky face. Jason transitioned into a tomato red color, growing infuriated. It was hilarious. Even Vanessa cracked a laugh despite the tears that were welling up in her eyes. Shoving Jason out of the market, he was still speechless.

I said, "The next time you mess with my best friend, it won't be just eggs. It'll be worse! Get out!"

Jason reached to wipe his face, and it sounded like he whimpered.

Being the tough guy he was though, Jason raised a clenched fist and said, "Maisie, I'll get you for this! You little-"

SPLAT!

Another egg was thrown at Jason.

This time, it was from Vanessa.

The egg landed perfectly into his large mouth. Vanessa always had great aim since Physical Education. This made Jason choke a bit. Well, when you had a whole egg in your mouth, you could only imagine. He spat the egg out.

Vanessa's eyes were dead on him, and her voice was sharp like needles. "Don't you ever think about insulting my best friend like that. Get out of here."

And finally, the egg-yolked jerk walked away miserably.

When I took a look at Vanessa, her once strong face was now tearing with emotion. Her lower lip started to quiver, and I quickly gave her a hug.