25 / Compromise

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

25 / Compromise 

The voice in my mind screamed, "He kissed you! Even if it's just on the cheek, snap out of it, Maisie!"

Bryce Valentino had me weak in the knees.

When Bryce and I headed back, everybody was all scattered back in the villa. We were fortunate to not have to worry about explaining ourselves. Once I found Vanessa, we both drowned ourselves with glee and laughter. It was so embarrassing, but I couldn't help it.

Who could possibly contain this happiness? 

That moment replayed in my mind over and over again. 

Something like this already had my heart tossed in many directions — imagine a real kiss?

"But you've been tugging my heartstrings for a long time, Daisie."

When I asked where Bryce got that from, he just gave me a sly grin and shrugged in reply. The first thing that came to mind was Mason. It appeared like the two got closer than I thought.

Smiling, I realized just having this kind of reassurance was all that I needed.

It was now late at night, and I needed to take a stroll outside alone. To "recover", I guessed. 

Walking along the grasslands of the golf course, I let out a happy sigh and just wanted to scream on the top of my lungs. However, I only giggled and got a hold of myself. The island winds were nonexistent. It was so peaceful, minus the chirping of the crickets.

From afar, I noticed a figure in the golf course as well. It was one in the morning, who could that be? 

Listening to my curious mind, I headed towards the silhouette that was casted from the moonlight. My eyes nearly jumped out when I discovered who it was.

It was Candace.

She was playing golf, swinging the golf club seriously. What surprised me was how she actually looked like she knew what she was doing. As I took a few more steps, my ears caught her sniffling. 

Candace was crying.

Biting my lower lip, I eventually called out her name. Following the sound of my voice, her blue-green eyes widened in shock. From the moonlight, it revealed puffy eyes and trembling lips. Before I could say anything, Candace threw the golf club and ran the opposite direction. Even if I tried to catch up, she was long gone which left me in wonder.

The next morning, I was woken up by the sounds of constant knocking at my door. 

Why was it still dark? 

Rubbing my eyes, I glanced at the clock. It was only 5 a.m. I could have sworn we all fell asleep past midnight. Lazily dragging myself off the comfy bed, I stopped moving any further when a note and pen was sliding under the cracks of the door. 

Picking up the small index card, I turned it over and found familiar handwriting:

Did you tell anyone about what you saw?

Recognizing the handwriting, I called out, "Candace, is that you?"

Instead of a voice replying, there was kicking at the door. Sighing, I picked up the pen and wrote down my answer, feeling the essence of middle school again. Moments later, the paper slid back to me.

Yes, it's Candace. Who did you tell?

If she was talking about when I saw her playing some intense golf, she was crazy. Why would anyone care about her being good at golf? She did run off crying though.